Jetta that won't indicate!

All of a sudden the indicator light glows slightly when I'm not indicating and stays on...without flashing...when I am indicating! The lights and flasher must be fine because when I switch on my hazards, all is well with the world! It's a C reg Jetta....HELP!!

Reply to
Ade Evans

I had the same problem not too long ago, as I was indicating and braking, the indicator light used to stay on, and upon releasing the brake pedal, it would indicate normally.

From the trunk, you should be able to access the tail lamps circuit boards on which all the bulbs are. Depending on which side (left or right turn) is the problem when you are indicating, unclamp the relevant circuit board by squeezing from the two sides, you'll see that there are two notches there. Then to unplug the board from the connector, turn the board over and you should see a notch on the connector that is holding them together. Use a small flat head screw driver to push that notch in and then push the connector out.

With the board disconnected, check the contacts for any rust/dirt etc. In my case, it was a combination of rust between two contacts causing a short. I just cleaned the contacts by sanding them very lightly with a fine sandpaper or you could use a pencil eraser. Then plug the board back and turn on the ignition and the indicator and see if it works. Make sure you check all lights (parking/reverse/brake/indicator) before you snap the board back in place.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Amit Joneja

On the dashboard the light that shows I'm indicating remains on all the time....although dimmed. When I indicate the light comes on fully but doesn't flash at all. The indicators do flash when I use the hazard warning lights. Hope that makes sense!

Reply to
Ade Evans

Not sure of your year Jetta, is this a 1978 or a 2004? That should be one of the rules of posting..........TELL US WHICH VEHICLE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!! lol

Try very slightly and slowly moving the hazard switch on to see if that light goes out and then try the turn signals. Should work then and indicate (pun intended) that you probably need a new hazard switch.

dave

Sorry Dave, old friend, in my excitement, I forgot. I did say it was C Reg but I guess if yr not from these parts that won't mean a lot! Its a MkII...from 1986. I'd just replaced the dash but used the old switches which were actually in better condition. I have disconnected the hazard switch...it made no difference! Like a steering wheel down me pants, it's driving me nuts!!

Ade

Reply to
Ade Evans

No I believe you need a good working Hazard switch installed for the turn signals to work. :-)

dave

He's in the UK and Jettas haven't been "Jettas" there since the A3s, so he has to have either an A1 or A2.

Reply to
Matt B.

That is your issue most likely. My A2 GTI's signals won't work w/o the hazard switch in place so if unplugging yours is making no difference than your switch, when present, is acting as if it's missing :) I'm not sure of all the wiring details but the hazard switch I believe is more than just the hazard switch and is somehow essential to turn signal function so even though the hazard portion itself works, the swich itself and how it enables all the signals to work is still most likely bad.

Reply to
Matt B.

Have you tried what I suggested in my reply, i.e. clean the contacts in the tail lamp assembly?

Reply to
Amit Joneja

Feel a bit of an arse here lads! Its was the fuse all along! When I checked and found out the hazards were on a different fuse it all fell into place! Just a lousy fuse! Thanks for all the hints etc

Reply to
Ade Evans