jetta wagon w/VR6??

I have a Jetta GLI, and I like it, but I wish I had more room. Anyone know if VW has a VR6 or GLI-type of Jetta wagon in the works? I'd get the Passat, but the price tag is still a bit intimidating.

Reply to
lazar, z

The VR6 was available in the Jetta wagon beginning with the 2001 intro,but was dropped for the 2003 model year. You'll need to find a used one.

"lazar, z" wrote in news:v43Ra.73281$ye4.49680@sccrnsc01:

Reply to
Denis Bigley

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yes. The 180Hp 1.8T does a pretty good job of motivating the wagon, it's 0-60 time with tip is in the low 8s or high 7s. The 90Hp TDI is the best engine in terms of flexible economy, IMHO. There's no reason, in my mind, to go for the

2.0 when the TDi option is avaliable for similar pricing, makes far more torque, and gets far better gas mileage (it's also good for some good Hp with a chip upgrade). But the Jetta is due for a facelift either later this year or *very* early next year, and I've heard, a more powerful version of the TDi. So if you aren't desperate for a new car, you may want to wait. Even if you opt to get the current styling with a current engine, pricing will get lower as VW gets closer to shipping the new models. Mitsubishi is heavily discounting the already fairly inexpensive Galant in anticipation of the new version due in late October or early November.

It was for a short while. But wagons aren't especially popular in North America, and people who're looking at the Jetta wagon as opposed to the Passat are usually doing so for financial reasons (mainly young families with young children and not a ton of expendable cash), and the VR6 Jetta wagon tended to be more than most consumers wanted to pay for a compact wagon. While I'm thinking of Mitsu, they also just debuted a version of the Lancer (not the EVO, the base model) with a wagon body, and a more powerful (160Hp) version of their n/a 4 cylinder. It's avaliable with leather seating, and a Sun & Sound package that includes a sunroof and a 300 watt Infinity sound system, and it's cheap. If you're looking at the 2.0 Jetta wagon, it stacks up pretty well in terms of features, pricing, and power. But it's not as well built, solid, or safe as the VW.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Next year we get the 100 H.P. TDI-PD, as well as a 5-speed TipTronic.......

- Peter

discounting

Reply to
Peter Cressman

TipTronic.......

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I heard it would be a 6 spped tip. The tip offered for the 1.8T and VR6 are already 5 speed units.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The TDI and the TipTronic are mated together....

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I understand that part. I'm saying that the Tip offered on the 1.8T and VR6 engines will move from 5 speeds to six, and was wondering if the Tip for the TDi would be a 5 or 6 speed. Seems to me, it should be a 6 speed.

Reply to
Steve Grauman