Jetta-wheel noise

Noise at 60 mph has gotten very loud. its not the engine, sounds like tire on the road, but its much louder. and ideas??? thks bill

Reply to
bill

Tires or wheels bearings?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
bill

Yep... my Nokians WR's are getting louder, just a little bit tho... We had Goodyear Eagle LS's on another car and they got quite a bit louder when they aged (they used to be VERY quiet, when new).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I hear bad bearing noise at a slightly lower speed. I swerve from one lane to another to load the bearings and unload them. If you hear the noise change significantly it can be a sign that one bearing is bad. If you do not hear a change you could have bad bearings on both sides. Free turning is no conclusive indicator of good bearings.Jetta is on its 4 model. What year jetta, a 1980?

As menti>Noise at 60 mph has gotten very loud. its not the engine, sounds like

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Had a similar problem with my wife's 1986 Jetta. It slowly developed a loud groaning sound that I was sure was the wheel bearings. It droned throughout the car, too loud for me to think it was tires (Michellin X1's). Besides, they were only a year old and had been very quiet when we bought them.

I really thought the problem was bad front wheel bearings. I've had these go bad on my VW's over the years and the sound was identical. And, like bearings usually do, the sound got louder as you would go around corners putting more weight on the outside wheels. So, I replaced both front wheel bearings, no change.

Thought maybe my ears were playing tricks on me, so I replaced both rear wheel bearings, no change.

Replaced both drivelines, no change.

Figured all that was left was bearings in the tranny. So, we had the transmission rebuilt. Of course, no change.

I ran out of things to try, never imagining the tires could make that kind of grinding drone. We drove around with the drone for at least another year frustrated we couldn't track it down.

When the time finally came to buy new tires, the sound suddenly disappeared! Believe me, it was one of those moments when you feel like a total idiot. How could I have overlooked those? But, it just wasn't a sound I would have imagined tires could make.

In any case, problem solved, albeit the long expensive way of getting there... :)

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Reply to
bill

Reply to
bill

bearings, no doubt.

If you want to be sure... put your rear wheels up front and take a ride the nois will still be there... still not convinced? put your wheels on a friend's car and his/hers on your car and take it for a ride...

Reply to
Richard Soubyran

Reply to
bill

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

congrats to you and thanks for the update!

dave

Reply to
bill