Just purchased a 86 Golf Diesel. I have a oil question and right axle question.

Q: what brand oil do you recommend for this VW. The last owner stated

15/40 for summer and 10/30 or winter. ( I live in Ely, Minnesota -30 nights and days in Jan/Feb).

Q: The right side axle needs to be replaced. I've looked at several on- line parts places. How do you recommed? I beleive it is the CV axle. He switched out the wheel bearings. Any other parts to consider replacing while a new axle goes in. We have a Napa store in town, are the parts credible.

Q: what is the best repair manual available for this diesel?

The car runs really good. it has 217K on the engine.

thanks

John

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

If it worked for the previous owner............why change? And what brand did the last owner run?

NAPA should be very good if price is no object! Examine the rest of the front suspension.

Bentley from ebay or amazon ($37.77 with free ship) or as a last resort rb.com.

When was the timing belt and tensioner changed last?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the tip on timing belt. He used pennziol. Would I use the diesel oil they offer or just stick to regular pennziol.

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

You will want to use a diesel rated oil. Diesel needs some different additives to handle the soot that gets in the oil.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
none2u

I just looks at his notes on oil. He uses 15w40 Rotella (summer) &

5w30 (winter). Any thoughts good or bad on this oil. Q: eventhought it's synthetic, still change every 3K. thanks
Reply to
86GolfDiesel
86GolfDiesel wrote: ...

Well I use Rotella, so I guess I think it is good. I have a 2002.5 TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection). VW recommends 10,000 mile changes for me. The newer oils and engines allow for longer intervals. I doubt if anyone has real facts for your 86 with synthetic, but if it were mine I think I would up it to 5 thousand mile changes.

The two oil weights are fine, but I use the same weight all year long. With today's synthetics, your really don't need to change winter and summer, but there is no harm in doing so.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
none2u

I picked up a quart on Rotella T 15w40 mineral. I did'nt see a blend of 15w40 by Rotella. I dont think they make a blend in 15w40. The last owners notes indicate 15w40 Rotella. I cant get a hold of him right now. I hope this is right.

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

they do make a 5W40 synthetic, I've been using it in the 944. Unfortunately it seems to have been reformulated to the new API specs with lower ZDDP. I still have three gallons of it, when that runs out...?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
none2u

One more question: I picked up a quart of Rotella T 15w-40 "Triple Protection". Is the multi grade Rotella T 15w-40 just as good. Which version would you recommend. Both are mineral not Synthetics.

The past owner stated Rotella 5w-30 for winter. I dont think Rotella makes a 5w-30 anymore. Would a 5w-40 in synthetic be advisable for winter? I have a insulated garage and there is a frost plug heater on the VW which I can plug into at work. Is it safe to switch from mineral to synthetic in the winter. I have always heard not to mix the two and always use the same brand of oil. What would you recommend I use in the winter. It get -30 in feb. thanks for your help.

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

Have you poured synthetic oil and regular oil when it is 0F? Synthethic flows better which means easier starting and oil flows faster. That said there are lots of engines out there that run on dino oil. Regular oil can look more like grease when it gets really cold. Well maybe not that bad but it thickens more than synthetics.

Rotella synthetic or Mobil Truck and SUV for diesels is not real expensive at Walmart. Yes it is more than dino oil but it does flow better in the winter. Some folks suggest you may have more leaks with synthetic. I change all three seals I can get to when I do a timing belt. The only other seal to change is the crankshaft seal by the clutch.

Joseph and n>>> 86GolfDiesel wrote:

Reply to
Jim Behning

I would probably do some preventative measures and install new glow plugs, filters, oil, new block heater, new battery and new alternator belt. Or at least make sure all are in tip-top shape.

Maybe get into the habit of adding a little diesel fuel treatment too! ;-)

snip

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1