Just some quick ones: Wagon vs. Sedan / Passat vs. Jetta

Hi all, Just have a few questions for you. I've probably found the answers already, but since the posts were a couple years old, I dunno...

Ok, since I've never owned a wagon before, or even a sedan for that matter, I was wondering if there are there any real notable differences between wagons and sedans when it comes to things like handling, driving experience, etc... This should probably be something I determine myself ey?

Ok and, where are the Jetta and Passat wagons manufactured? Any real difference in build quality or anything like that?

According to what I've read around here, the only real differences between the Jetta and Passat are space, refinement, and maybe a little zoom. Anything else?

Finally, anyone ever slept in their wagon before? =P

JD

Reply to
JD

I owned a 96 Passat (older style body) and noticed some flexing when cornering. I reasoned a sedan would have more strength behing the rear seating area. I have a 99.5 Jetta sedan now and at 109k miles it's still fun to drive. I traded the Passat with 107k miles on it and it looked a couple of months old when I sold it. Wagons handle larger things well but if what your carring rattles it will sound louder.

Germany. Jetta sedans in Mexico.

My Jetta is a early A4 platform Mexican build and I think it is built as well as my Passat was.

Yes, that's the "REAL" difference. If adults are to ride in the rear seat lean toward the passat.

Yes, on a trip back from Florida when my son was driving. Seats were/are firm and curved and good for riding but not so good for lying down n the back seat.

Also don't forget the TDI. Both my jetta and passat are/were tdi's. The 2004 jetta tdi has a new to the US 100 hp engine up from 90. That does not sound like a lot but drive one! The Passat is supposed to have one later this model year. Diesels may dissappear in the US until ultra low sulfer fuel is available here in 2006 or later if Bush gives in.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

All Passats come from Europe. Jetta sedans come from Mexico and wagons come from Europe. VWs seem to be consistently built in either place.

Reply to
Matt B.

The Touareg on my dealer's showroom floor was assembled in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Yes, you should drive both a wagon and a sedan before choosing. I have a 92 Passat Wagon that I feel outhandles just about anything else available in a wagon from that vintage. I don't feel like it handles any better or worse than the Sedan B3's.

Both should be manufactured in Germany. The window sticker will tell you, or if buying used, the VIN, if it starts with W, then it was made in Germany.

Definitely the room first and foremost. The Passat is bigger in front, middle, and back. And the Passat is available in more luxury configurations.

Two adults and my 80 lb dog for three nights of pouring rain traveling through northern California with my girlfriend :)

Reply to
Jed