Key for 99 Jetta

My son just bought a 99 Jetta and it came with only one key. It is one of those switchblade keys. What he would really like is a regular key. He doesn't even care about the remote. The person he bought the car from said that the 99s don't have the computer chip in them and we can just get a regular blank and have it cut. I question this, does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

Ted

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4269 (20090723) __________

Ted & Lisa Nicholson

I agree with the seller, I don't think your US model(?) '99 has immobilizer, but the 2000 Jettas did. When the idiot lights come on as the ign is switched on, do you, or your son, see a key symbol? If you buy the key from the dealer, they should know but it would probably come with a new chip in it anyway and it could be matched to the immobilizer if needed.

Not sure if the ebay keys have chips in them.

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No little key symbol reared its ugly head, so I guess the dealer was right. That should make the whole exercise considerably cheaper for a kid who scoops ice cream on Cape Cod. (his car, his expense)

Thanks,

Ted

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4271 (20090723) __________

Ted & Lisa Nicholson

There might be a few online places that can sell a key cut to work in that Jetta! Cheaper than the dealer, but always check the dealer price first! ;-)

BTW I get mine from the dealer = faster and if there is a problem we can handle it face to face! AND I want three keys per vehicle at least!!!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well, I called the vw dealer today, not the used car dealer that sold him the car and was told that there was no substitute for a 99 Jetta Key besides the switchblade key. The price quoted was $160.00 plus programming. The parts guy insisted that there was a chip that needed to be programmed.

This is ironic. It may be the only instance where my son doesn't want a remote, but has to have one!

Ted

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4275 (20090724) __________

Ted & Lisa Nicholson

It would look like these on ebay. A valet or wallet key might have been issued with a lot of the newer VWs. Owner's manual might have info about the different keys!

ebay item # 160350072590 or 370232198083 or 270431557311

BUT that late '99 Jetta calls for a key with the transponder chip in it. :-( VW part # 3B0-837-219AK See if the dealer can price that part # out for you. Also see how much they charge for cutting it too.

dave AKA vwdoc1

What, no valet key for this year?

Reply to
PeterD

I'm not sure about a 99 Jetta, but I bought a new 2009 VW Rabbit last year, which came with 3 keys: 2 switchblade keys with remote, and a "valet" key that is basically a regular key (no switchblade or remote). So I'd think you should be able to get a regular key for the Jetta - but I suppose it's possible that only a switchblade/remote key was available.

Even if you could get a regular-style key, one of the issues with these newer VW keys is that not just anyone can cut them, since they're not cut in the style of a more standard key (they're cut on the sides rather than the top/bottom). I suppose that serves two purposes: To make it harder for thieves to steal the car, and also to allow VW to make more money by requiring you to buy new keys from them. :)

Eric

Ted & Lisa Nichols> Well, I called the vw dealer today, not the used car dealer that sold

Reply to
Eric Oulashin

Reply to
Jim Behning

I think that VW, or our government regulations, cause owners of the cars to take it to them for the transponder matching. Out of the USA there are probably on 42 independents that can cut the key and "legally" match the transponders. Out of 50 states that is pretty sparse! One of them is Joel Osserman's place

in NY. He is a little too far for me to drive to have one done though, so I always send people to their local dealer. My dealer told me that their laser key cutting machine cost them $13K and I guess they pay to hook your car up to some master computer in Germany. Everyone has to get their "cut"! hahaha PLEASE DON'T LOSE YOUR KEYS!!!

If you had the special immobilizer codes for your vehicle then you could probably do your own matching with a vag-com tool. I think there might be some tools out there that can even get those immobilizer codes, but I am not sure if they are legal or inexpensive.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1