leaking brake line connection

I replaced the mastercylinder a few months back. A couple of days ago I noticed some brake fluid on the ground under the car. I found it leaking out of where the brake line screws into the master cylinder. I re-tightened the fitting but it is not sealing up completely. I'm afraid to tighten it any more for fear of breaking the fitting or damaging the seating surface. Any suggestions? Will an o-ring stand up to brake fluid? How about some Teflon tape? If not and I find out that the brake line fitting is damage and I need another brake line how do I go about getting one that is bent into the right shape? Can a muffler/brake shop bend one for me?

As always thanks in advance for any advice Steve

Reply to
sehaare

You bend brake lines yourself. Find a coffee can, a bean can or any round object for a die or form. They even make a cheap tool to make some of the bends.

No, teflon tape will not help because the compression of the actual brake line to the tapered spot in the cylinder is where the sealling happens. If the brake line has a nick on that surface or if the master cylinder has a nick then it will leak. No orings either. If one of those blew out you would really have some excitement as your brakes would work even less.

"sehaare" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Something is wrong here and brakes are not a place to cut corners! Take the line off and inspect the line and seat on the master cylinder and replace the buggered up part.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R