Lighting question (DS?)

Serious lighting question here. I've had this problem before, but last night was the first time in a while... seems to be like a fairly serious safety issue. For reference I'm driving a '02 VW GTI (basically a Golf) with the stock US-spec headlights (for now at least.)

Here's the setup - I was driving home from northern Virginia at about

10:30 PM or so. It was fairly dark and raining rather hard. The problem that I was having was that at odd intervals, the lane markings on the road would completely disappear, especially on DC 295 (long unlighted stretches.) This was quite a problem, as the road has neither reflectors in the pavement nor immediately visible reflectors on the center divider, etc. Now I could actually see the road surface fairly far ahead, at least far enough that I felt that I could drive at 40 MPH or so - that is I was sure that there were no items in the roadway, other traffic, etc., but due to the rain on the road surface I would periodically completely lose sight of the lane markers. With high beams on I could see just fine, but obviously since there was other traffic I could use them only very infrequently. Fog lights (still running the stock fogs, I haven't gotten around to installing my Micro DEs yet) didn't really make any appreciable difference.

Is there anything I could do to my lighting to help? E-codes? Simply higher wattage bulbs to throw more light out there? Other traffic didn't seem to have this problem as when I felt that I was "flying blind" and slowed down to regain my bearings I was being passed by other vehicles.

Also is the stock wiring for the headlights sufficient or would relays provide a useful upgrade?

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It sounds to me like your fog lights are broken. Properly functioning fog lights should help with the EXACT problem you are asking about. That is, they should help you to see the road surface better. As we're talking about stock fog lights, it must be a design problem. For that matter, are you sure you haven't blown a fuse? :) Some people install aftermarket fog lights upside down, blinding other drivers in the process. And then they wonder why the fog lights don't seem to help much. :) But for fog lights, most of the light should be directed downward to light the road in front of you. Somehow, this isn't happening. Your LOW beams should help in bad weather, also. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Things like mirrors and sheets of glass and the surface of a calm lake reflect light in what is known as a "specular" manner -- light rays bounce off the surface at an angle equal and opposite to that at which they strike the surface. Hold a flashlight at a 45 degree angle to the right of a mirror on the wall, and the flashlight beam will exit the mirror at a 45 degree angle to the left of the mirror.

Things like a sheet of typing paper or a brick wall reflect light in what is known as a "diffuse" manner -- light rays bounce off the surface at all sorts of different angles because the surface is rough. Some of the light will bounce back towards the light source. When the road surface is dry, your headlamps have an easy time illuminating it for you, because the road surface is a diffuse reflector and some of the headlamp light bounces back off the road towards your eyes.

When the road gets wet, it becomes a specular reflector, and that explains both "wet road glare" from oncoming cars' headlamp reflections in the road in front of them, and the tendency of wet roads to resist all efforts at illumination from the driver's perspective.

The road markers were disappearing because they were not in proper condition. Road lines are initially retroreflective -- that is, they bounce light back towards the light source through a range of input angles, like an overhead road sign or a car's red rear reflectors. This road line retroreflectivity is achieved by applying the paint and then blowing glass beads onto it so that they stick to the paint. There are problems with the application of the glass beads -- if it's a windy day when they're applied, they will mostly blow away before they can hit and stick to the paint. Also, over time they get ground off the road surface. It can be very scary indeed to lose all reference of lane positioning!

European headlamps will do a better job in this situation because they tend to produce more and wider foreground light (light on the road surface in front of the car) than US DOT headlamps. That said, the current Golf IV DOT headlamps produce more foreground light than many DOT headlamps, so the difference in this case will not be as large as it would be if you were starting out with a more traditional DOT headlamp producing almost no foreground light.

NEVER in DOT headlamps!

A set of good-quality, high-performance fog lamps (e.g. Hella Micro DE) mounted as low as possible, would also help somewhat.

I have yet to see the VW product made in the last three decades that had completely adequate headlight wiring from the factory, but the latest models are better in this regard.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Is it not illegal to use fog lights in american unless vision is seriously impaired like it is here in england? :) People who have fog lights on get a $96 on the spot fine.here.

Reply to
Joe

Wouldn't *that* be nice...is it actually enforced these days?

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Most so-called "fog lamps" on North American-market vehicles are worthless or nearly so, even when properly operating and properly aimed.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Last guy I encountered in light rain at night with the rear fog ablaze didn't even understand why I flashed the high beams....

I should really put a big bright red rear lamp on my cars to give these idiots a taste of their own actions...

Reply to
Brent P

So what you're telling me is, I need to get off my lazy ass and install them, then :)

Well, at least you didn't tell me to buy anything *else*...

Yes, I was still using the stock fog lights mounted in the headlight clusters, the Micro DEs are sitting safely in a box on my bookshelf :/

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In the US, fog lights are low mounted front directed not too bright lights. They do not have the rear fog light. Frankly I think it would be a good idea, IF the drivers could learn to use it, but frankly I doubt if they will. The road and weather conditions in the US don't call for them, as much.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

They are allowed, but not required. Many US spec cars have rear fogs. Volvo, Audi, MB, a couple GM models, jaguar, and probably others I've failed to mention.

The last idiot I was behind with one on was driving an Audi on IL 53.

Reply to
Brent P

If the halogen ones are anything like the HID ones I have, then I'd definitely go for them.

As Daniel posted recently (in another thread), just having more foreground light won't solve the problem if the headlamps do not throw a "good" pattern of light.

Comparing DOT halogens to DOT HIDs, the HIDs looked better (subjectively) because there is more foreground light. When comparing DOT HIDs to ECE HIDs, the ECE ones looked better because the foreground light was distributed over a wider area (as well as the fact that the right side of the cutoff wasn't limited by the stupid VOR aiming spec).

If you can afford it, get the ECE headlamp assemblies for your VW.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Some cars sold in the US have rear fog lights. They are often left turned on when there is no fog, to the annoyance of those behind.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

I used a set of PIAA driving lights on my last truck, and I could kick myself for leaving them on it when I traded it in. I'm not sure of the model number, but they were the ones with the purplish looking lenses, about 4" to

5" in diameter. They lit up yellow. Let me tell you, I don't care if it's a hurricane or a blizzard, you will see the road in front of you. They were the best lights I've ever owned. I think I paid about $250 to $300 for them.
Reply to
swatcop

Gee, Swatcop, from this post it appears you think yourself above lighting laws. I spot at least two violations of lighting usage laws in *every* state and province in your description above. Was this deliberate on your part, or do you just not know what you're doing?

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, swatcop wrote:

3> I used a set of PIAA driving lights on my last truck, and I could kick 3> myself for leaving them on it when I traded it in. I'm not sure of the 3> model number, but they were the ones with the purplish looking lenses, 3> about 4" to 5" in diameter. They lit up yellow. Let me tell you, I 3> don't care if it's a hurricane or a blizzard, you will see the road in 3> front of you.

2> Gee, Swatcop, from this post it appears you think yourself above

2> lighting laws. I spot at least two violations of lighting usage laws

The lamps you describe do not conform to SAE J581, among other reasons because they illuminate yellow instead of white and there is blue light visible off axis. Driving lamps are required to emit *white* light, and blue light is not allowed anywhere within the beam. Fog lamps are allowed to emit white, yellow, or white-to-yellow, but you say you had *driving* lamps. Driving lamps are required to be wired such that they can ONLY be used with the high beams, so the fact yours were "not used in conjunction with the highbeams" indicates noncompliance, not compliance. Driving lamps are regarded the same as high beam lamps, in that they are not permitted for use in traffic or conditions of reduced visibility due to rain, fog, snow, etc. (often phrased in state law similarly to "shall not be operated so as to cause glare", which driving lamps do regardless of aim), so your statement that your lamps were terrific in hurricane/blizzard conditions indicates noncompliance. Further, there is no such thing as an "off road user only" lamp. Manufacturers or distributors may apply such labelling to items of motor vehicle equipment not compliant with applicable Federal standards, but there is no provision in law for motor vehicle equipment not intended for roadgoing use but capable of being installed on a roadgoing vehicle, therefore "off road use only" is meaningless in the eyes of Federal and a large and increasing number of States' law.

Maybe you actually had the fog lamp version of the lamps you describe. But that's not what you said -- you said you had driving lamps.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Timothy J. Lee:

Return the "favour" with your driving beams (E marked of course), if there is no oncoming traffic to blind. This would also be effective on rural highways at night were some inconsiderate putztard to decide he wasn't gonna yield to you on the passing zone and wanted to block you for the next 20 miles.

Reply to
E.R.

Why do you think I have a set of 100 watt driving lights mounted to the car? and 2 sets mounted on the J**P (actually 1 set is mounted to illuminate more of the ditches and shoulders, but quite effective anyways)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

"off road use only" means just that, they can only be used while NOT driving on any legal roads,, which means you can use them while driving on private property, on bush trails or any other place not deemed a "legal road" by any highway traffic act or laws.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

That's a good common-sense definition, but it is not supported by law. Many people think it is, but -- nope, it's not. There is no legal definition of an "off road use only" lighting device.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern