Living with a Passat

After 6 years with my 1986 Jetta GL, I'm starting to look at a replacement in the new year. I'm doing well at work, and am looking to upgrade to a Passat.

I can't justify a new one (I ride the bus to work most days), but can easily justify a used one, say early '00s.

I've read the reliability reports about sludged engines and waterpump meltdowns, and know that such a car is going to be more expensive to look after than my Jetta. So be it. If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't do it.

What I'm curious about, when all is said and done, is what is it like to own and drive a Passat? How do you feel about the driving experience?

What's it like to actually live with one?

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
laura halliday

As stated earlier....

I have a 2004 GLS 1.8T 5 speed. It's a great car. 33,000 miles. Only problem is that the rear rotors warped with about 23,000 and I had to argue with the dealer to win the replacement. The brakes had not yet worn down and there was no reasonable reason for it. Otherwise a great car. Depending on your climate, the cold weather kit with heated seats and mirrors is a nice option. I also have leather and wood in mine with the 5 disc changer. I routinely get 33-34 MPG highway and 24-28 around town. Regardless of what the manual says about premium fuel, it runs fine on regular. Make sure you use synthetic oil as it may cause problems with you and VW otherwise. Good Luck. David

Reply to
D&LBusch

Laura:

Allow me to be brutally honest with you and also relate a fairly recent experience we had. Up until 2004, we always had at least one VW in the family. Over the years, included were Type IIIs, Rabbits, Golfs, Dasher wagons and so forth. The last one before the present crop was a New Beetle Diesel. Which had: Numerous electrical problems. Windows that shattered going up and going down (three sets, ultimately), a fuel distribution system that failed twice... all covered under and well-past the original warranty period (shattering windows). When we became grandparents and my wife decided she wanted to shift back to a wagon, we went to a local VERY LARGE used car dealer and looked after Passat wagons. We drove out in a Saab 9.5 wagon. I was driving a ML320 at the time, and a few months later, I went to the same place looking for a 4-Motion wagon... and drove out in a Volvo XC70. Both options were available to me, both in similar year/mileage/warranty. However, both of the 'other' options wanted premium fuel, cost more, and had fewer features... really.

So, allow the heresy of a non VW option.

We presently own two VWs, and I expect that we will own at least one forever. But one is a 1987 Westie camper, and one is a 1999 Winnebago camper. These are unique vehicles for which there are no legitimate substitutes, and so we put up with the continued and unreasonable quirkiness and sometimes remarkably poor quality-control that VW somehow cannot seem to overcome in order to have the advantages of the overall vehicle. And I remain a shade-tree mechanic in simple self-defense as paying an outside mechanic to deal with the quirks and foibles of a VW is simply unreasonable for something that is purportedly an "economy" car. If you want Euro-precision, comfort and quiet elegance, look for the second-tier Euros. Saab, Volvo. Saab especially. We had a 1991 Saab 9000 that we drove for 9 years and

180,000 miles changing only the oil and doing only the regular maintenance. I had a 1994 Volvo 850 that I drove for 120,000 miles similarly. VW has a lot of catching up to do.

You may wind up with a VW, but be sure you are doing it because you really, really, really want to.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I have a 00' wagon V6 2WD which I bought new. Switched to syn oil at

20K, new coolent at 40K now have 58K with one minor problem (side mirror switch replaced). Just a single data point. Jack
Reply to
jmpresley

Laura,

I owned a 1995 Passat VR6 that I sold a few years ago with 135,000 miles on the clock. There was not a single squeak or rattle in that car; it was still on the original exhaust system. The new owner also recently sold it with 240,000 miles on the clock. Still no squeaks, still no rattles, still original exhaust. The most reliable car that I have ever owned. Oh, I did have to replace a tail light once.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

I have an '03 GLX Tip sedan, manufactured and purchased in late '02.

The V6 is much less prone to this than the 1.8T AIUI, but I do change the oil with synth every 5K miles anyway.

Only 20K miles on it so I can't speak to that.

Not many problems with it so far. O2 sensor failed around 8K miles, replaced under warranty. Belly pan tore off due to a muffler lying in the road on a dark night, can't fault VW for that. Rear brake discs disintegrated at 16K miles, out of warranty (>3 years) and dealer wouldn't replace. *That* pissed me off. Coupla recalls (fuel filler neck, driver's seat heater).

Driving experience - in highway driving, I couldn't imagine wanting more out of a car. Well-snubbed without being floaty, quiet, plenty of power, easy to gobble up miles in. Around town... it feels a bit sluggish and soft. Better than most cars I've owned, mind you, but I'd prefer a smoother/quicker throttle/tranny response at low speeds. Also the OEM Michelin tires aren't so hot.

Excellent build quality, very nice interior, IMO a good-looking car (better looking than the previous or subsequent generations). Good stereo (Monsoon), haven't had any of the problems with it that some have complained of. Everyone I've ever driven in it has commented about what a nice car it was.

Overall it's been a good car, and I can't really complain. But I think I hear a GTI calling me...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Lots of comments about Passats at: