Location of Drain Holes in an A1 Rabbit

Can anybody tell me where all the drain holes are in an A1 Rabbit? I know there are two in the cowl. There appear to be one each at the bottom of the front doors. There is a little plug that I was able to pull out that opened up a hole in the bottom of the hatch. Nothing came out, so I put the rubber plug back in. Any other drain holes I'm missing. I just want to ensure they are clear and clean.

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

There is one inside the passenger compartment just to the right, and slightly forward, of the center console. It is often hidden by upholstery.

Also you might think about installing a leaf guard under the grill of the hood (cowl). This is the grill that is next to the windshield wipers. I found one on Ebay for a few dollars. It snaps into place under the grill, allows water to get through (as it should), but prevents the accumulation of leaves in the area where the windshield wiper motor is located, Such accumulation will plug the drains.

I believe the leafguard is an aftermarket, not VW, product.

Reply to
Papa

I am not familiar as to what an A1 Rabbit is....around here, there is Rabbit 2 dr,Rab 4 dr,(gas or diesel), Rab. convertables. With that said, I have found drain holes as you said, in the drain tray, under doors and bottom of hatch lid is an opening(no rubber plug). Suprisingly, I found no drain hole in the spare tire compartment)I am gonna drill one for it only make sense. If you got a sunroof, there will be 2 up there and they come out under the shocks of the rear hatch lid.

Reply to
wrenchwench

Thanks everybody who replied for the locations of the drain holes and also for the suggestion of the leaf guard. That definitely sounds like a good idea. BTW, A1 is simply the chassis version. All rabbits and jettas through 1984 are A1s.

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Drains will always clog, liquidtight vessels will always leak.

Just try to seal it up, and it will drain perfectly :)

Reply to
Jon