looking for VW specific junkyard in Oklahoma I went to 10 years ago

Howdy,

I am looking for a VW specific salvage yard, or really any place I can get cheap used alloy wheels to match one of mine that went out of round from some really cool pointy rocks on a roadtrip.

There was a really good one in Oklahoma somewhere I went to 10 years ago; now I can't remember where it is.

I am in Dallas, Texas, so more details on the OK junkyard or any other within 150 miles would be helpful.

regards, Keith E. Loyd

ps - modern science will never create a playground that children will find as cool as a real junkyard.

Reply to
Keith E. Loyd

What you are looking for is Wilson's in Lexington, about a 2 hour drive from DFW. Sadly Wilson's is no more. The owner died back in 2000 and the yard's doors were closed. In the Summer of 2004 his daughter and her husband opened up the doors a few times to try and clear out some of the stock in the yard, all of this being announced on the Samba, but have since sent everything in the yard to the crusher. There was still some stuff in the warehouse, but I am not sure how to go about getting access to it or if it is still there. For local resources, you may want to consider asking around on the Dallas Air Cooler's site,

as one of the guys on there may be able topoint you to a resource close by. Alternatively you can try posting on
to see if someone has what you are looking for.Good luck!

Tom

Keith E. Loyd wrote:

Reply to
rbl2dnd

Parts Place isn't within 150 miles, but they do mail order and have a large selection of alloy wheels, some of which are used.

Bryan K. Walton

I have two factory steel wheels if that helps. The other two met their demise with a curb.

I am in DFW.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Taylor

Keith,

I am in Houston Texas but i remember a shop in Mesquite that has a bunch of old VW's sitting outside. They Might be able to help.

They are in Mesquite off of Military parkway I think. There is a large hotel and rodeo indoor arena across the street from the place. Sorry but I don't have the name .

Mike

Reply to
Mike West

The shop in Mesquite is Piston and Plug (972)285-5393

The salvage yard in Oklahoma was Wilsons in Lexington and it closed a while back. Andy

63 Camper
Reply to
Busman

UPDATE:

2 good junkyards are within a day's drive of Dallas that I found:

  1. Piston and Plug of Mesquite, they're good but only have aircooled stuff.

  1. Austin Vee Dub - they have a whole lot of stuff, and it all looks well organized,
Keith E. Loyd