Loss of power

Past 3 months, have noticed a declining loss of power on my 88 VW Fox GL wagon. (1.8L mechanical fuel injection w/puter separate ignition module). I live in a very hilly area with a few steep inclines that cued me in. Also, sometimes, get a hesitation when slowly or quickly opening up the accelerator, then it clears. Sometimes, does not happen. Gas mileage is still 27/33, hasn't changed. A soapy water test around injectors showed no apparent leakage.

Did obvious stuff like change air filter, plugs, cap and rotor. One minor vacuum leak found and replaced the vacuum hose. No change. Did 2 tankfuls with STP fuel injector cleaner, slight but perceptible improvement.

Haven't changed the fuel filter for 5 years. Have it onhand now. Jacked up the car, and found what appeared to be fuel leakage on the supporting bracket for the fuel filter. There were no leaks when I replaced it in the past. Changed my mind on changing it today as I have to go to work the afternoon, its my transporation for now. Didn't eyeball the accumulator or fuel pump. Ya think the fuel filter is clogged so bad it backing up and leaking?

I know where to put the jack under the vehicle. Where do I put the jackstands on the rear of the wagon? Am using chocks under the front wheels. My last fuel filter change, had access to a lift.

Reply to
Jonny

andrea

don't forget the transfer pump in the fuel tank you need to make sure that it functions well.

02 sensor might be going bad also how are you setting the CO?

did you clean and check the fuel distributor plate? make sure both throttle plates close easily and fully.

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Replaced the transfer pump about 4 years ago, better not be going bad already.

O2 sensor, possibility, changed that out about 8 years ago.

Fuel distributor, am afraid to open that thing up. That was replaced about

8 years ago with new from factory unit by dealer. How do I open it up and clean it?

Throttle cable is operating fine.

Failed to note the idle screw has no affect at any setting. Low rpm idle all the time. Another thing, if the engine doesn't catch right away (start), it usually floods. Have to hold the pedal to the floor to air it out. Won't here the engine "catch", just release the starter. Then, engine slowly works out roughly then smooths to normal idle. Failing to start right away is the exception, rather than the rule.

I'll be changing the fuel filter today.

Reply to
Jonny

replies within

don't ASSuME!

could be

Take off the big rubber boot and clean off metal flap and surrounding area with a lintfree rag and some carb cleaner.

Throttle Plates, not just the cable. The cable pulls on the primary throttle plate which in turn pulls on the secondary throttle plate after a certain amount of movement. I have seen the secondaries get sticky and stay a little open = bad running engine.

Might be a weak ignition system (ign. coil weak) which could be a defective distributor rotor. I prefer these ONLY in Bosch. Might be leaking injectors like even the cold start valve. I have seen timing belts that were one notch off or the tensioner was turned CCW to apply tension to the belt.

let us know what you find and good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Fuel filter replaced. Was full of black fine material. Gasoline in it was almost pitch black.

Question - what is that box with fuel lines attached to it above the fuel pump in this vehicle. Not the accumulator.

Question - where do I get a replacement fuel hose line from the fuel filter to the steel gas line. It has aircraft type terminations, and male threaded ends. Hose is actually rubber, doesn't appear braided. Current one is cracking in places.

Results of fuel filter replacement, no observable change.

Was able to alter the idle speed with a screw on the intake manifold itself. Book says it does this in congress with the O2 sensor and the computer itself. That I may be altering the exhaust emissions when doing so. The idle is fine, and hesitation is gone. Can't tell about gas mileage at this point in time.

I didn't/don't suspect the O2 sensor as my gas mileage has not changed any perceptible amount. If you're talking cleaning the area around the air flow sensor, I did that previously. Being extremely careful not to alter or bend the potentiometer sensor that it is connected to. There are no visible secondaries on this fuel system in this particular vehicle. This is fuel mechanical fuel injection, CIS.

Reply to
Jonny

good on changing that fuel filter. That should help!

IIRC The Fox fuel injection will have a two stage, or progressive, throttle body. When you first step on the gas pedal the smaller primary throttle plate opens up then as you keep pressing on the pedal the larger secondary throttle plate will open up. description of your throttle body, or similar, here

of similar throttle body here (note the shape of the non-round boot indicating 2 throttle plates)
dealer should sell your fuel lines. Not sure if you can purchase them from an aftermarket source or have them made locally.

got a digital picture of that box?

So since you said hesitation is gone, you have your power back now?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonny"

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Only thing I could find in the Bentley was relating to the last 10% of the throttle travel where it kicks in 20% more fuel. Rare that my pedal ever gets there except on steep hills. Guess I'll have to look harder. Irregardless, have no intention of messing with the fuel system unless I know its broken.

No picture of the box mentioned was taken when I had right rear side of the car on a jackstand.

Power is better, but not where I feel it should be. I lose ground/speed at

25% or better grade @45 mph in 4th gear with full throttle to give you an idea. The speed limit on these roads is generally 45mph.

You got picture of exclusive primary and secondary plates? Not sure where you're at in the jpg picture. The rubber boot/hose on my Fox is same shape. In the rounded end of this boot/hose, I have an aftermarket Vortec plate for channeling the intake air. Should I pull it?

Reply to
Jonny

Pull the gadget vortex plate. Waste of money and might be screwing things up.

25% grade is darned steep. They put warning signs up on highways at 7%. 10% climb on a bicycle is hard slow work for an average bicyclist. 25% is walking time for non-pro type cyclists. So where do you see 25% grade? That is a 1/4 mile of altitude gain every mile traveled. In Georgia I think probably one of the steepest roads is up Brasstown Bald and it is a little over 20%. The roads to get close to BB I drive around in third gear in my vehicles that have 5 speed transmissions.

I thnk that some of the hoses that have rubber covers are braided underneath. Especially if they have fancy banjo fittings. Cracks on the outer rubber are not reason to replace them.

If you had a bunch of black crud >Only thing I could find in the Bentley was relating to the last 10% of the

Reply to
Jim Behning

I couldn't find a picture easily on the internet so I put one up for you to see.

What I have found that happens is that the secondary throttle plate is rarely moved and it's shaft begins to sticks. SO when you do step on the gas pedal enough to open up the secondary plate........it sticks open sometimes a lot and sometimes just a little. This needs to be checked because it can affect the idle and possibly how the engine accelerates or runs.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Okay, easy enough to pull the tornado air device.

The hills with great incline are rare, but are there. Not of any substantial length. There are 2 such hills on my way into town. Extremely dangerous in icy conditions. One curves beginning just before the incline subsides.

Guess I'll have to do some more checking on that interim fuel line between the fuel filter and steel gas line.

This particular Fox has long history of contamination due to rust. It began when I bought it off a used car lot. A storeowner adjacent to this lot confided that the car sat there for a year that he was aware of. The car had 1/8 tank of gas when I got it. As a result of this, and having to figure out the sources of the problem along the way, replaced almost everything back there regarding fuel delivery. This includes the tank, the transfer pump in the tank, the fuel pump, all the gas lines from the tank all the way up to the fuel filter. Replaced the fuel distributor, some of it peripherals and all the injectors up front. Friggin nightmare. The only thing I didn't replace was the accumulator back aft. The fuel filter I replaced 5 times, before figuring out the tank was shot due to the high rust in the filter. All this happened in spurts back in 96 and 97. I changed the filter out every 6 months afterwards till around 2001. Since I didn't see any debris at all in the last change, I stopped doing this. Well, I waited too long, 5 years (probably reason for extent of contamination). I replaced the gas tank and transfer pump myself, sprayed the tank with an acoustic compound meant for underbody preservation before installing. Believe there is a way of operating the transfer pump feeding a small container to check existence of contamination. This I doubt very seriously to exist. Possibly, some person doing sugar in gas tank thing. Which, by the way, doesn't kill the engine as the myth goes per the "Mythbusters" TV show. I've used a locking gas cap since I got the car. That was my reason for asking about the box in relation to the fuel system in my original post. The box sits inline between the fuel tank and fuel pump (not after the fuel pump - accumulator). That's the only unknown for me in the car history.

Reply to
Jonny

Well, I'll be dam#ed. That's exactly what I got. Seems to function at end of travel of throttle like its supposed to. Seems to be completely closed when not in use.

That vortex device (makes the air into tornado like flow pattern), I put in about 6 years ago. I noticed no change in mileage or performance. So, I just left it in place. Now it makes sense why. There's two throttle plates dividing the air flow in two in some cases. In normal throttle, one plate, the air is diverted off radically to one side, upsetting the air flow pattern produced by the device. Guess I'll pull it out today, and hang it on my mirror for a conversation piece.

Thanks for the insight.

Reply to
Jonny

Reply to