Low Mileage On Jetta GLI

I just traded my 01 Wolfsburg w/ 103k in on an 05 Jetta GLI automatic w

10k miles. The mileage on my Wolfsburg was about 28-29 mpg in the city. The GLI is coming out about 23 mpg.Why the big drop? Is there any way to increase the mileage on the GLI? For example not use the tiptronic, use premium instead of midgrade etc? Any tips would be appreciated.
Reply to
grifty

Unfortunately using a premium grade rather than regular, even if it would get you better gas mileage (which is unlikely), will not be helpful because of the price differential.

Reply to
Papa

My wife has a 2003 GTI (upstate New York). She tells me that she recently compared the mileage she gets using regular gas with the mileage on premium gas, doing the same kind of journeys on each tank. It turned out that she got almost exactly 10% better mileage on premium, which works out to less expense per mile on the more expensive gas. fwiw.

-s

Reply to
Steve Thompson

what's the EPA mpg rating?