Lower control arm ball joint - just how dangerous is putting off this repair?

Howdy, For maybe the last 20k miles, my Jetta ('97 TDI 5 sp manual, 180k miles) has made a little more jiggling noise when the left tire hits a bump than the right. For the last few months, I have noticed a quiet ticking clicking sound when taking off in 1st gear. I have no objections to a few noises coming from a car this age, and I'm not all paranoid about safety, but I also don't want a wheel to fly off on the way to work.

A mechanic sorting out a few other things told me these are symptoms of a dying lower control arm ball joint, and it is $177 to fix. He also called it 'dangerous', but other advice from this source would indicate he would use the same adjective for wiper blades that are streaking a little.

Here is my question - will my wheel fall off if I wait for this to fail? It seems like the wheel will steer kind of sloppy but should be ok in a 'limp home' mode kind of way.

Another factor - I plan on selling this car in a year, when it hits 10 years or 200k miles, so if it drives and acts like it does now for 20k more miles, I will be happy.

Reply to
Keith Loyd

REasonable price.

Yes, it is *dangerous*. I would agree that bad wiper blades are also dangerous too.

Yes, it will. At speed, proably 65 or 70 MPH. You'll die. Someone else, who you don't know will die. All because you didn't feel like spending $180 to fix your car...

Yea, at five MPH, no faster.

What state are you in, and what roads do you dirve? I'd like to avoid them if at all possible.

Fix it! Now!

OH, and make sure your insurance is fully paid, especially liability. WHen you have that accident, the other party (their survivors) will find out that you were warned to fix the problem, because it was dangerous.

Reply to
PeterD

peter,

Your emotionally overrought reaction to a simple question on an obscure suspension issue was 'how dare I seek a second opinion?!' in so many words. I suggest you either drink a little more or a whole lot less, or go to church, or a doctor, or something to help get your mind right. I am not reading any more of your posts.

regards, Keith Loyd

Reply to
Keith Loyd

you overreact barely perusing my text sad blubbering fool

Reply to
Keith Loyd

suck it up and get a new ball joint, you cheap bastard. I could replace it for you in half an hour, with a beer break in the middle, but you will need an alignment afterwards (although if you are careful and scribe some match marks, it'll be "good enough" if you're really strapped for cash to get you through until payday.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

If your ball joint fails and separates it will be a dangerous situation - the wheel will not fall off completely, but you'll be left with a "McPherson pendulum" instead of a McPherson strut and won't be able to drive the car. The strut will pendulum into the back of the wheel well and car will come to a screeching halt. You probably won't be able to control the car very well when the separation happens. Have a knowledgeable mechanic look it over and replace it if it is worn.

Wojciech

Reply to
Wojciech Galecki

He gave you a real answer, if you can get over the 'overwrought' style.

Here:

and here:

lamerfreak

Emotional reactions are what you get when the wheel falls off and the comment is like "Who'd have thought this would happen?"

YOu described a very dangerous situation, and I said so. Further your lack of knowledge in thinking you could continue to operate the vehicle in this condition shows a total disergard for anyone else's safety.

And, yes don't read my posts. Don't read anyone's posts that say it is dangerous. Just read the ones that say it is just fine to drive it as it is.

Plonk.

Reply to
PeterD

Many thanks to those who responded and directed me to websites (lamerfreak) with more detailed information. The unanimous opinion here was more useful than a mechanic at a ethically casual dealer who I have caught exagerating in the past. Even the crazy guy in this newsgroup agreed with the rest of you when he briefly addressed my actual question.

Since I'm between jobs, I was hoping to put this off, like mediocre shocks, a dead liscense plate light, or window tint turning purple. Yes, N8N I am Fat Bastard's thin, tight fisted little brother, Cheap Bastard.

regards, Keith Loyd

Reply to
Keith Loyd

hey, don't take it personally. I own a Studebaker (you think VW owners are cheap????) I just know how easy it is to replace a VW ball joint, it is a complete non-event, trust me. Plus your car won't sound like a bag of s**t going down the road anymore.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel