Manual for 1988 VW Cabriolet factory alarm? - Clifford Series III

My 1988 Cabriolet has a Clifford alarm in it which seems to be factory installed. I'm having a few problems with it:

The previous owner had "disabled" the alarm in some way, which means it doesn't "chirp" or arm. However, if the car battery runs down, the alarm quite happily disables the ignition. I get various combinations of flashes from the alarm status light depending on the situation with no way of interpreting them, or of changing alarm modes.

So, I'm looking for a copy of the manual. DEI (was Clifford) was not able to provide something that old.

Does anyone have the same alarm?

Thx in advance,

Ian

Reply to
Ian

factory installed? hmmm

Try some good stereo places that install radios and alarms. Try crutchfield also.

My clifford blinks steady when there has been no problems and blinks in a certain pattern if it has gone off and reset. Do you have the transmitter to arm and disarm the alarm? Did you think about removing it completely from your vehicle? You could probably purchase another alarm and have it installed which should remove your clifford alarm if you can't disarm it. You could also pull the fuse to it and that should stop it from setting off the siren but you still need to bypass the cutoffs (starter and/or ignition).

dave

Thanks. I exchanged e-mails with anoth Cabby owner and their Clifford alarm was actually the reason for the drain on the battery.

Indeed, in the end I just disconnected the alarm completely. It was a pain to get to - wedged in above the fuse box under the driver's side dash.

Cheers,

Ian

Reply to
Ian