Manual Transmission Fluid Check

I am sorry for asking such a simple question. But, on a 2002 Jetta where can I check the manual tranny fluid?

Thanks

Reply to
Charles
17mm plug in front just by the starter and with car level cold it should just drip out.
Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks. Is there a way of checking just the level? I know with an auto tranny, there is a small dipstick.

: > Thanks : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Charles

Like Woodchuck said. Manual VW trannies, as with most manual trannies, are sealed. No dipsticks, only fillholes, drain holes and overflow holes.

Reply to
Darryl

I've just learned from a non-dealership VW shop that this is not correct. I'd been wondering since buying my 2002 Golf why the Bentley Manual specifies a special VW tool for checking the transmission fluid level, but only got the answer last week:

The transmission needs to be filled through the speedometer cable channel. If you check the transmission fluid via the "filler/inspection" port with the vehicle level, then the oil will pour out big time, since the transmission will hold a half litre more than you can pour in through that opening when level.

So I guess the only way you can check/top up the gear oil level yourself is to have the vehicle suitably tilted nose up. The trick is knowing what angle of tilt will give you an accurate reading, so you don't overfill the transmission and blow the seals.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that angle is. Does anyone here have that information?

Achim

axethetax

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

I'd be careful with the recommendations by non-VW shops. In the past, there have been trannies which are filled to over-flow, plugged up and then another 1/2 quart (perhaps) is added. They don't use angles, just an additional volume. Woodchuck works at a dealer so I'd trust his words; if you don't, ask another VW dealer.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Thats only for SOME very old transmissoins. NOT for a 2002.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I'd say it's your shop that is incorrect. Untill mid 87 the rule was fill till it started to come out of fill hole in side of tranny, re-install the fill plug and add another half a quart. In mid 87 the fill hole in the side of the tranny was raised 7mm. So then all you had to do is fill till it starts to come out, re-install the plug and your done. When it's said level it refers to the car not the tranny. I'll second what Darryl said, Woodchuck has worked as a VW tech for a number of years. I've read a lot of woodchucks posts and have yet to read one where his advice wasn't intended to help. So you can find a spot to level your tranny, and fill it per your non dealer vw shops instructions, and I give it maybe a week and your clutch will be oil soaked and you can have them install a new one.

Rick

Just checked the transaxle on my new 2004 Golf, picked up from the dealer Tuesday. It's not an easy task, since I don't have a hoist. I had to put the car on ramps to take off the lower engine cover, then try to get at the filler/inspection plug through a metal line that loops in front of it blocking the use of any ratchet extension. The plug wasn't in very tight. I was easily able to loosen it with a six inch ratchet handle.

I measured the car's angle at 5 degrees, and removed the plug. I could barely reach some of the oil with my little finger. I moved the car further down the ramp, to an inclination of maybe 2 degrees off level, and still nothing flowed. And I could still stick my finger in without making anything come out.

Finally, I rolled the car back down to level ground, and tried again. Nothing flowed out, and I could push my little finger in to the second knuckle without causing any overflow.

So I'm wondering - how much gear oil is missing?

BTW, this is the second time we've had this experience with a new Golf. I wonder how many others are missing gear oil?

Achim

axethetax

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse