Manual transmission fluid: replace? fill ? 2001 Golf TDI 80000 mi

Reading the manual there is no instruction or schedule to replace the manual transmission fluid ever, only to refill. Is this correct?

That could mean a lot of life from that original fill!

If it is better to raplace, how? Whith what brand is it best to fill or replace? (75W90 synthetic per the manual).

Please advice!!!

Reply to
Rochester

I have an '00 gas Jetta with ~57k. Shifting was getting intermittently rough, especially into 1 and 3 and sometimes 4. I figured it couldn't hurt to change out the transmission oil. I used RedLine MTL based on information from this group. The old stuff looked like mud puddle water when I drained it. Filled it up with the new and with the exception of the now rare sticky shift into 1 from a complete stop, it has been silky smooth for the past 2500 miles. There may be a glitch in the 1st gear synchro, but it's unobtrusive enough now to live with. ...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust