Master cylinder - Pop, Pop, squish, squish

john hite wrote: I would avoid getting a junk yard master cyclinder at all cost. Your master cycliner most likely failed because you never changed your brake fluid, and as we all know, brake fluid is hygroscopic, the characteristic of drawing moisture from the atmosphere.

Now then, how many junk yards take low milage wrecked cars and perform a brake flush every 2 years on them so the brake system in them won't crap out? Not many, if any.

When I performed a big brake upgrade on my Jetta (used a Corrado master cyclinder), I paid just under $50 for a remanned unit from Auto Zone. Master cyclinders don't cost that much and it is better to spend an extra $20 and know you have a good part rather than hope you don't smash into the car in front of you (and have to do the repair a second time).

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Was trying to stop at an intersection Saturday and when I applied the brakes I got 2 loud pops and then squishy brakes. There's some action but it bleeds by quickly. I assume my master cylinder is shot since there were no leaks and all the wheel cylinders check out OK. Is there a kit or do I need a new master cylinder? Would appreciate some preferred sources.

Thanks,

j hite

Reply to
john hite

Junk Yard. It will match your vehicle better.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
john hite

Depending on what you have for a VW you can upgrade to a bigger master cylinder in order to upgrade brakes. I did.

Google for salvage yards or you will pay lots for a new master cylinder.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I just bought one of these from auto zone 2 months ago for under 30 bucks (remanned with core deposit). Lot cheaper than I thought it would be. - Chris

Reply to
starburst

Thanks to all for posting. Will check the AZone tomorrrow. They are generally my last choice but sounds like the place to go for this item.

jh

john hite wrote:

Reply to
john hite

: Was trying to stop at an intersection Saturday and when I applied the : brakes I got 2 loud pops and then squishy brakes. There's some action : but it bleeds by quickly. I assume my master cylinder is shot since : there were no leaks and all the wheel cylinders check out OK. Is there a : kit or do I need a new master cylinder? Would appreciate some preferred : sources.

Was $36 for a new one at Pepboys if you have one local to you. You sure you didn't pop a brake line. I had spungy pedal, replaced the master cylinder and in the process of bleeding it... pop, hiss (cloud of droplets).

Brake line broke to rear drivers side.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing