Maunel Transmission Fluid in VW's

What transmission fluid do you guys use in your manuel trannys?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

We use what VW calls for. Check your manual.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Lucifer

I'm talking more brands... I'm thinking of using Redled but i've heard other vw people recomend other brands... Woodchuck Check your etiquette.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

**Check your etiquette? He didn't say anything rude. The OEM tranny fluid is supposed to be very good.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

I'm not asking what type sould I use but rather what type are you guys using.. people who actually fix vw's. some vw techs do read this.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

**I think Woodchuck is a VW tech. I have a Jetta 1.8T manual myself but it's still under warranty. At the 5K checkup, I complained about it being rather 'crunchy' especially when I shifted from 1st to 2nd. Crappy synchros from day 1. VW replaced the fluid but the problem persists. Previous to the repair, I researched it online (here and places like vwforum and vwvortex) and many people recommended VW's OEM tranny fluid. Others swear by Redline and, lately, GM Synchromesh (sp?).

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

I didn't think I was off track. But, the first step in research is to check the manual. When I work on a $90,000 Phaeton the first step is always check technical information on hand. Now back to you trans, I'm a firm believer the best fluid is what the factory recommends. After all VW most likely has spent more $$$ on what work well versus and outside company. VW has used synthetic in standard trans for a long time. I think even back into the late

80's What are your expectations by switching to Redline? BTW, you should have told us what year and model too?
Reply to
Woodchuck

I been doing it for 33+ years at a VW dealer and almost 10 years included Porsche. There's a lot of things I don't agree with VW but that's the way they do things over in Germany & VWoA. And VW, or any car maker, can't make a car to please 100% of the people 100% of the time! As for your trans... yes they are kinda "notchy" from 1st to 2nd but you got to remember over in Germany they view driving a bit different from here in the USA. Autobahn sums it all up. Unlike the pre 99.5 Golf/Jetta's it's a completely different transmission and have a very, very, very, very, very, very, low failure rate as compared to the old 020 trans. The synchros are BIG and some are even a 3 piece unit(6speed) to withstand the beating of most 16 year old kids when he has the car on Friday night. The 6speed has been out for about a year or so and I have had only 1 apart in our shop. That's shows it can handle the torque of the 1.8t & 24v VR6. Does VW have problems, YES... but I think alot less than other car makers. Gee, with a comment like that we may here from some Honda/Toyota owners who never had their car in the shop since new. And that was 200,00 miles ago.

Bed time, later

Reply to
Woodchuck

He works at a dealer, he needs to recommend what VW recommends. SO it is you that needs to apologize to him from where I'm standing. Woodchuck has been posting here for a long time, you seem new, so heres your mulligan.

Reply to
Biz

Woodchuck its a 96 Jetta with the 020 5 SpeedTransmissionTranny DFQ. Reason i'm asking cause i'm ordering a rebuilt tranny and I want to have a long lasting experice with it. The tranny shop i'm thinking of going told me that Redline is the only way to go but then I heard otherwise when I talk to Phat City ( A German only car repair shop here in Seattle ). anyway if the VW Syntehic is as good as the Redline I was to stick with OEM. I bassically just wanted to see if there was any advatange of using Redline. I guess there prob about the same cost. Sorry Woodchuck did not mean to hit a sore spot.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

And besides we could get into spelling, but let us not.

REDLINE is a company that makes a good product but you'll likely want to have fresh new seals in it.

It's what I use and no problems.

TBerk

**I did a lot of research before buying the 1.8T, so I was aware of most of the complaints such as the 1st to 2nd weirdness. Mine wasn't so much notchy as it was "gear crunchy." You feel metal crunch. The dealership agreed there was an internal problem and decided that my gear oil was too thin. They ordered some special tranny oil and I had to go back a week or two later and have it replaced. It really didn't change anything but I have a feeling they are just trying to delay the inevitable.

I could tell how the Germans viewed driving just by witnessing the above-the-radio cupholders on a previous Jetta I owned. Oy, no Big Gulps for them! When I drive from MI to CT and back again, I like good cupholders (like the ones in my 2003). Hmmm, does treating the NY Thruway like the Autobahn count for anything? ;)

**Well, we'll see what happens :) As long as I feel that my dealership treats me right (and it has so far), it makes any problems that come along easier to take.
**HeyOh! Well, hopefully people are done razzing you :) I've never owned a Honda or Toyota but I have owned a couple of Hyundais.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

hypoid sae 90W usually. don't know what it's supposed to be though :)

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

oops! hadn't read the whole thread.

duckhams or quantum (quantum is VW standard issue i think - could be wrong though. GSF sell it)

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Thanks for all your replies.... Transmission is total rebuild...Actually doing a swap from a automatic to a Manuel. I just wanted to know to get the most life should I go with Redline which the tranny shop doing the work told me to use or should I go buy vw's Synthetic. I don't know if there is a cost difference or not. I usually get good help here and I did not mean any beef with anyone. Thank Woodchuck for your replies. Your the man.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

VW stuff is more like 75-90

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have no experience with the new VW fluid but I have used Redline in many older VW trannys and it works great and makes a great improvement in shift quality esp. when cold. I have heard that the new VW stuff is good too, so either should be a good choice.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel