Mechanic Thinks Engine Computer Failed on 93 Passat

I posted this on the wrong forum at first. I included a kind reply from that forum:

I have a 93 4-speed manual 2 litre. It started bucking, and my

mechanic thought it was the coolant sensor. He tried a new one, but > that did not help. He thinks it's the engine computer. I asked him > what else it could be, and he said only the wiring. > The car starts, but dies. I have to crank it in first a few times, > then sort of pop the clutch and rev it to get it going. He took the > sensor out, and at least the bucking stopped. > Any ideas? Does anyone know of a reliable source for a used or rebuilt > EC box? > Engine computer : > BOSCH # is 0261200874 > VW # is 8A0907404J > VIN WVW ZZZ 312 PE 09 1221
Reply to
bluejudy

Agreed.

Removing or disconnecting the coolant sensor may have just put the ECU into override/adjustment mode.

As to your original issue, what can you tell us besides a bucking problem? on acceleration only or all the time? only when it's wet/damp out (rain, fog) or all weather (dry sunny days) too? When the engine is cold or at normal operating temperature? More info please...

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes test the FI coolant sensor or put in a new one since they are not expensive. You might want to make sure that you check everything before changing the ECM (Computer)

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

91 Passat 16V auto
Reply to
One out of many daves