Miles per gallon.

So... this marks the end of the 4th week that I've been driving the GTI for most of my travels (mixture of city/highway);

Week 1 I got 30.28 mpg Week 2 I got 30.44 mpg Week 3 I got 30.68 mpg Week 4 I got 32.76 mpg

Premium gas each time... only thing I changed week 4 was I put in a K&N air filter.

What should one expect from a 1986 GTI? (Gear ratio seems to not be good for economy)

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

That is pretty much the same I got from my 85 GTI. With careful driving it can be bettered a bit.

Reply to
Ernest

I averaged around 32 city/highway (commute) for 10 tanks. Replaced the oxy sensor, adjusted the fuel distributor, been around 35 for 3 tanks.

brand new '85 gti cis-e. no mods. yes it is geared low for highway driving. great in traffic though. i use 89 octane. too many miles for that really high dollar stuff. (5k miles since july...)

Reply to
rabbit

30 miles/gallon(US) = 7.8 L/100km. It's reasonable. I assume it's manual transmission. My 1986 Jetta automatic gets - 33mpg (7L/100km) on pure highway, and - 23.5mpg (10L/100km) in stop-and-go city.
Reply to
William Park

rabbit wrote: : I averaged around 32 city/highway (commute) for 10 tanks. Replaced the : oxy sensor, adjusted the fuel distributor, been around 35 for 3 tanks.

: brand new '85 gti cis-e. no mods. yes it is geared low for highway : driving. great in traffic though. i use 89 octane. too many miles for : that really high dollar stuff. (5k miles since july...)

What do you mean, "geared low"? Mine runs at 3000rpm @ 50mph

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Yeah, and that's kinda low (i.e. short), I'd say. My Passat turns about

1850 rpm at 50 mph.

-- Mike S

Reply to
Mike Smith

What engine do you have?

This is really great mileage for a car with the performance of a GTI whether its a 1.8T or V6.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote: : So... this marks the end of the 4th week that I've been driving the GTI for : most of my travels (mixture of city/highway);

: Week 1 I got 30.28 mpg : Week 2 I got 30.44 mpg : Week 3 I got 30.68 mpg : Week 4 I got 32.76 mpg

: Premium gas each time... only thing I changed week 4 was I put in a K&N : air filter.

: What should one expect from a 1986 GTI? (Gear ratio seems to not be good : for economy)

Today while driving the kids home from school I realized I had also removed the fixed antenna the week before, so I'm wondering if the nearly 10% improvement in mileage is related to that... the A2 has the fixed antenna on the front fender...

We'll do another test with antenna on...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Reply to
skydivertu