Missing on cold startup??

2000 Jetta 1.8T Auto trans.27K miles Having a problem with missing on startup. Changed the plugs and it stopped for a while and has started again. Doesn't seem to do that after warm up, just on cold starts. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply to
el lobo

THANKS!! That will be the first place I will look.

Reply to
el lobo

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:37:15 -0400, el lobo wrote (in message ):

You're quite welcom, and good luck. If you find any other problems that are causing the missing on your 1.8T, let me know. I'm still looking to cure my indiosyncratic four cylinder.

Reply to
Mr. Underhill

Saw that the area around the injectors has some residue. Figured that with the extended warranty, I would let the dealer fix it. They informed me that with over 160 psi at the injectors, some residue was normal and they checked out fine on the machine. Here is what they did find. Evidently when I bought new spark plugs, I was given wrong replacements for the type of car (Champion). When the mechanic found a cold start miss logged in the computer on cylinder #1, he pulled the plug. Seems like the plug is one that is in an upper heat range and the plug looked white. So instead of them charging me $66 for the proper plug (PFR6Q

-NGK #6458) and $78 to install, I will do that myself. He feels that the car is designed to run with that specific plug and will stop the cold start issues. It was difficult trying to find those plugs as they are more expensive than most and are not normally carried on a daily basis. They should be here this afternoon at $9.89 each. Found places that would order them for me at prices ranging up to $17.50 each. So, will see if that is the problem. Also, I found out long ago when I had a Mercedes 190E that it would only run on a specific plug. Something about the compression blowing the spark off the plug, I was told. Must be true, because it solved the miss issue when replacing the platinum's I had in there. Seems like 4 cylinders are much less forgiving than most with a bad spark plug. I'll post the results of the plug change out.

Reply to
el lobo

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 8:59:10 -0400, el lobo wrote (in message ):

Never, ever, ever use Champion spark plugs. I had some dissentigrate in my

1990 Nissan Pickup. The absolute worst plugs on the planet. NGK's are very good and what a lot of manufacturers put in their vehicles. I the correct spark plugs solve the problem for you. Mine has the originals so that isn't it. And truthfully, I don't think there should be any leaking at all, even at 160psi. Diesels deliver fuel at much higher pressures and they don't leak as a rule!
Reply to
Mr. Underhill

I installed the correct NGK plugs (PFR6Q) last night. Checking the start up after completing the installation, the car idled just fine. I just talked to my wife (it's her car) and after a commute to work she indicated the car is running great. So, looks like thus far, the cold start idle miss is solved!

Reply to
el lobo