mk3 Golf Brakes

Hi Got a 1997 gti 16v. Yesterday a metallic rubbing noise started from the offside front wheel during breaking. I presumed this was low pads but then noticed the sound continues slightly after releasing the brake pedal. Had a look at the brake last night and the outer pad is about 5-6mm thick. The inner pad is difficult to see because of the caliper but that appears to be very low.

Should brake pads wear at the same rate on the same wheel?

The sound is like a two metal sheets rubbing together.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
vw-stuff

Sometimes yes and no.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Do you think the caliper is not sliding on the pins?

Reply to
vw-stuff

Possible yes, it's something easy to check when replacing the pads. The pins must be removed to get the caliper off.

Reply to
Woodchuck

As dumb as it may sound the only time I've ever heard that sourt of noise from the wheels its been either a bent dust shield rubbing on the rotor or debris (usually pebbles) stuck between the rotor and the dust shield. Either is easily correctable.

dan

Reply to
nope

Thanks to all who replied. Problem now sorted. I replaced the discs (rotors) and pads on the front. The inside pad had worn all the way down to the backing plate and it had scored a groove on the inside face of the disc.

Thanks again

Reply to
vw-stuff