MK4 2.0L Oil pan plug question

So I am going to be changing the oil myself (1st time) on my 2.0L Golf this weekend.

I have heard conflicting things about the oil pan drain plug and the crush washer. From what I have read, it sounds like there is a crush washer on the drain plug.

Now, does just the washer need to be replaced or both the washer and the drain plug (or neither)? I have found the part number to the washer (#N0138493), but if I need the drain plug too, what is that part number?

Some people say just reuse the plug/washer as is, some say pry off the old washer off the plug and put a new one on the old plug, others say replace both the plug and washer.

Which is the best way? Any other caveats?

Thanks,

-Pete

Reply to
Pete Foley