Mk4 Shocks & Struts - best deal?

I need to change out the OE struts & shocks on my '04 Beetle Turbo. I'd like sport shocks, adjustable or not, but will consider most anything for the right deal. Do any of you know of a bargain?

Reply to
Rex B

Rex, don't know what you consider a "bargain," and I haven't shopped around much yet, but I'm on the market for new shocks on my Jetta, and happened to notice the other day that

has complete shock/strut packages for what I thought was a reasonable price -- rears for $60, fronts for $84 -- and the kicker, complete front struts, with spring, for only $13 more -- no screwing around with spring compressors. After my little incident with a spring compressor a couple of years ago, I'm not anxious to do that again. In fact, my neighbors don't want me using spring compressors anymore, either.

Reply to
Brian Running

I've found Bilsteins on ebay for $249 for all 4, BIN price from seller ebaytechdeals1. That's a pretty good deal, but I'd prefer to find a regular dealer that can sell for that.

After

What happened ?

Reply to
Rex B

I was replacing the front struts on a Plymouth minivan, and was using rented, clamp-style spring compressors. Those damned things have always made me nervous. I had the spring fully compressed and was disassembling the strut when I noticed out of the corner of my eye that one of the compressors began to slide down the coil and shift slightly. Before I could even react, they both let go completely -- it went WHACK!! BRAAAANNNNNNNGGGG!! and launched the spring, the compressors and strut parts all the way down the length of my driveway, and into my garage the other direction. I had been working on a piece of plywood on two sawhorses next to the house -- a kitchen window on one side, and the ol' family jewels just inches away on the other side. By the grace of god, everything launched out sideways, I wasn't touched and neither was the window. I was white as a ghost and shaking for a while after that. My wife and a neighbor came running, I'm sure they heard the noise around the whole neighborhood, they must have thought I'd have a strut impaled through my chest.

That was the last time I'll ever use those clamp-on spring compressors. That's why I was hyped to see that a complete-with-springs strut is only $13 more at Germanautoparts.com.

Reply to
Brian Running

You are very lucky. Over the years automotive coil springs have killed quite a few people who underestimated the lethality.

Mechnics used to call those 2-pc compressors "suicide sticks" because they did not trust them. The ones I have now fall into that category, as they came from Harbor Freight and cost under $20. But I have inspected them closely, and use them with great respect, always considering what could happen if one slipped. however, I have had zero problems with mine, and they nexver looked the least bit threatening.

I do suggest

1 - compress the spring the very minimum to take the presssure off the retaining seats. 2 - Handle the spring gently while compressed, always keeping it pointed away from people - just like a gun. 3 - work on the strut with the lower eye held in a good vise, the strut standing vertically. 4 - when reassembling the strut, set the spring down over the body and drop the upper strut mount etc over it at arm's length. Never put anything over the spring except your fingers, and for as little time as possible. 5 - I have seen mechanics loop chain or aircraft cable through the coils and tie the spring to the vise or the stout workbench. This is a good idea, but the attachment method needs to be way overkill, or it won't be strong enough should you ever need it.
Reply to
Rex B

Further research put Monroe shocks at around $250 at the best price I can find. In September, Monroe has a "Buy 3, get 1 free" deal which will get the total to under $200. I'd really prefer to get a higher grade shock such as Bilstein or Tokico, but I may have to settle for Monroe just due to the price difference.

- - RB

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Until that time, I had never had any problems with them, either. But tell the truth, now, Rex -- when you had those springs compressed, they didn't look the least bit threatening? No offense, but I have a hard time believing that. Every time I've used them, I've held my breath until the damned things were fully off the strut again.

I'll go you one better -- I suggest that you take the struts off, throw them in your other car, and drive them down to the local shop, where they have one of those wall-mounted, fully-enclosed, hand-crank compressors, and pay the nice man $20 to do it for you. Can't do better than that.

Reply to
Brian Running

OK, sure they look threatening, because I am very aware of the potential. I should say that as I carefully compressed the spring I saw nothing to indicate that they could slip. The hooks were evenly applied to the surface of the coils, and they did not side-slip any as they tightened.

I'd be OK with that, except I'd probably just buy one of those compressors. In fact, there's an older one in back of the warehouse here I could probably buy for $50 or less. My shop is remote from my house, and none of the stores in the area have a compressor that I know of. Besides, I prefer to do things myself as much as possible. That way I can control the timeframe and the quality.

Reply to
Rex B

Anyone here used Monroe Sensatracs on a MK4 VW? Opinions, road feel? I am of the corner-carver persuasion, so i'd like something at least as taut as the OE shocks.

Reply to
Rex B