Moonroof question.

How far is the moonroof supposed to open on a 2003 Jetta GLS. Mine leaves about 4 inches still in view, meaning the entire "hole in the roof" isn't being used.

Normal?

tia

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

That's the "default" or 1st-Stop to try and cut down on the wind buffeting.

Grab a hold of the roof button, and twist it another 10deg or so (yes, it does feel like you are turning beyond what it is supposed to do).

The roof will now slide back all the way into the roof, outa sight. (and, actually, the wind buffeting doesn't feel much worse, but it is LOUD).

Took me a month or so to discover that one myself - I have a habit of NOT Reading-The-eFfin-Manual. Glen McLean Ottawa '87 Jetta GLI, '97 Golf CL, '03 GTI (Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)

Reply to
Glen McLean

Thanks for the info.

Engineers (me) never read the manuals :)

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

That's because most are coming from India and the P.R.C now-a-days.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Sadly that's true :( psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Yup. And folks like me are currently out of a job because of it. THe company I worked for was bought by an investment firm at the beginning of July. As of the end of August, 40+ of us, myself included, were let go and there's rumors of more r.i.f's to come at that company. The firm that bought us has a significant number of subsidiaries in India...so guess where our "eliminated" jobs are going.

Reply to
Matt B.

Oracle layed off their $60K+ a year software programmers so they could hire $6K a year programmers in India. Nice eh? Even corporate helpdesk is in India. You call an 1-800 number and you are talking to a dot head pretending to sound American. They have special english classes to disguise their sing songing accent. Nice eh.

The H-1B allocation is supposed to shrink back to where it was before all the Internet hype. The USA made the middle class in India and also in China. China is still so under used it's really scary. As bandwidth increases, American jobs will decrease in the IT world.

End of my venting.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yep. That's why over the next few years I plan on bailing out of it completely and getting into real estate instead. Heck I already got the Eurovan to drive clients around in so I might as well get the realtor's license and get going on it.

Reply to
Matt B.

I don't blame you one bit. Real Estate is good. Good Luck.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thanks. Yeah it's weird that even in a down economy, real estate still chugs along. I'm in San Diego and the biggest thing that the recession has done is slow the astronomical climb in prices to something less than astronomical, but nevertheless it's still climbing. In the right areas of the country, even real esate is pretty much recession-proof. I guess I'm also just kinda tired of the "keeping up with the Joneses" nature of software...every year you have to take a class or something to learn a new technology just to stay alive and it's just too much for me. Great if you're the type that finds programming fascinating even as a hobby and you monkey with it in your spare time, but when I leave the office at 5:30pm I'm done for the day and don't want to see or write another line of code until

8:30 the next morning. Don't get me wrong...my next job for now will be software and I'm OK with that, but long term I can't afford to count on it as a career.
Reply to
Matt B.

Well, the planet's not getting any bigger, and people insist on having babies, so real estate is pretty much a sure thing.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yup. Unless the property is on a toxic waste dump, there's almost a guarantee that it'll appreciate.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
mikeb

Would this method work for an 2002 Passat moonroof as well?? I assume it's the same as the Jetta.. 'TIA'

Reply to
Stan Dupp