More 020 Transaxle Questions

I'm currently deep into a clutch job on my 1987 GTI 8V. New pressure plate, release plate, disc, and remachined flywheel. While I'm at it, I'm replacing all the seals on the transaxle, as well as the pushrod bushing, release bearing, and rear main seal on the engine. Before I put everything back together, I have a couple questions for you folks:

  1. The end of the pushrod that contacts the release plate has developed a flat where I assume there used to be a complete radius. The release bearing side, as I guess one would expect, has much less wear. Is there a wear limit spec on the pushrod as far as flattening of the radiused ends are concerned? Is it a good idea to swap ends at every clutch job or should the pushrod always be installed in the same orientation? When does one decide the pushrod needs to be replaced? Is a new pushrod a normal part of a complete transaxle rebuild?

  1. I will be having the original flywheel machined for the second time. I'm sure they only remove a few thousands of material during this process, but when is it a good idea to just replace the flywheel? Is there a machining limit?

  2. Can someone recommend a reliable machine shop in the Seattle area that has experience machining VW flywheels?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Kent

I just checked my spare tranny. The flywheel end of the pushrod is almost completely flattened. I don't recall the clutch as having any problems when that tranny was in the car. Both ends of the pushrod should get just a small amount of grease to provide lubrication.

My Bentley manual doesn't mention a machining limit.

AutoSport Seattle, 2121 Westlake Ave in downtown Seattle,

206-621-1940. I've been going to them for years, including having them rebuild my Golf motor . They do quality work and know how to properly machine a VW flywheel.

Todd Walke Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 258,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 487,000 miles

Reply to
racertod

I was just curious, are VW parts (flywheels) so different that one should worry about a machine shops familiarity with VW parts? If so, what other parts should one worry about?

Will, 89 Jetta 8v

Reply to
Will Breeze