My 84 Vanagon backfires

Last summer while was driving on the high mountain roads of southeastern British Columbia when the temperature would approach about 40 celsius at the height of the day. At about this time the engine (1.9l with fuel injection) would start backfiring about once every 10 to 15 minutes then it would stop backfiring until the same time the next day. It hasn't happened since I came back to the prairies. I fear this will happen again next summer when I go back. Does anybody have any advice on what the problem might be? ,Rod

Reply to
rodd

hy i am french, what mean "backfiring " "rodd" a écrit dans le message de news: Z643e.862150$Xk.626248@pd7tw3no...

southeastern

Reply to
nono

Explosion of unburned exhaust gas in the exhaust pipe/muffler.

"retour de flamme" from

Tom's VR6

Technically, a backfire is through the carb but it's also sometimes used as you describe.

nate

Tom's VR6 wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My guess would be the high altitude and the temperature do not agree with how your vanagon is tuned. Air pressure and temperature do make a difference when it comes to engine firing problems.

Reply to
Mystic