my friend has no luck

guy I work with just returned a lemon A3 Jetta to Carmax who wouldn't give him his money back but did apply his payment to another car of his choice. so he picked out an A4 Jetta. Looks and runs great but after driving it for a while it's got some serious mayonnaise on the underside of the oil fill cap. He drives about 15 miles each way to work and claims it gets fully hot on each trip. I suggested possibly either a blown head gasket or else maybe a malfunctioning PCV valve. anything else that could cause this?

thx

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

If it's not using coolant, then that crap under the oil cap is normal. It's caused by moisture condensing there!

Reply to
Woodchuck

No oil temp gauge, but I've got almost an identical commute and if anything I drive more conservatively than he does, and I don't see the mayo on my '04 1.8T nor did I on any of my other cars ('84 Scirocco, '89 GTI 16V) which if anything ran cooler water temps. Now I did have the oil cooler on both of those cars so the oil should have warmed up faster, don't know if they still use the same oil-to-water deal on A4s. (do they? honestly curious.) My old cars tended to hit at least 200F oil temps on that trip.

BTW, have I mentioned that I feel mildly ripped that the MFA is no longer standard on GTIs? I "ordered" this car through a local dealership the way I wanted it (silver, black leather, moonroof, cold weather package) and they found me exactly what I asked for, but I didn't realize that the MFA was no longer standard so I didn't get it. D'oh.

Just for reference we live in the general DC area (office is in Beltsville) and it has been unusually cold (around freezing temps) the past week or two.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

MFA's haven't been standard since '90. :-( My '91 doesn't have one either.

Reply to
Matt B.

What is an MFA?

Reply to
WPD

Reply to
Randolph

Isn't that optional on the Golfs? I have seen it in my owners manual, my

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Randolph

Well there ya have it. My newest GTI prior to this one was an '89 16V.

I guess I'm showing my age.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The MFA has been standard on all GTI VR6 models since 1993. Jetta GLX had it as well. Currently,. only the GTI VR6 gets the MFA, as it is one item that seperates the 1.8T from the VR6.

No Golf in North America has had Climatronic, however the GTI GLX and VR6 had it. Jetta GLX has it as well. However, there is no longer a Jetta GLX in North America. The Passat GL --> GLX has an MFA as standard equipment, however it doesn't tell you the same info as the old one...it gives you outside temperature, average speed, average fuel economy, distance until empty, and driving time. If a warning light should come on, it will instruct you as to what needs to be done. The Audi version of the MFA is animated!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Jim B.