nasty short circuit

Hello I just finished overhauling my Passat 1781cc model 1993. After some good days of work finally all was set in place. Running the starer, to fill more oil, without the plugs and without the distributor sensor connector, my colleagues near the car said that there is some sparks near the cable harnes, near the motor. it disappeared later. After fitting the plugs the car didn't start... No spark. The brown wire on the coil plug looked melted and odd. The coil's connector was very hard to remove. After it gave up it was seen that the left pin (brown wire) was burnt and the plastic around it melted and caused the gluing of the connector... At some time this week I wrapped all the wiring harness, which was once wrapped with the original black cloth. Probably some wires were already exsposed and by tightening them together some short was happening??? I am going to untie the wrapping and look for the shortcircuit. Does anybody have any lead where to look? Could it have harmed the electronics somewhere? how to check? Thanks Eyal

Reply to
Eyal

check the (-) battery cable from the battery to the body, and to the transmission. Make sure they are clean and tight. While cranking with 150amp starter draw it found the ground via that thin brown wire. Not good for the ECM.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yes, it was loose. In the first time crancking the sterter sounded slow for 3 -4 seconds, then caught up. Probably the vibration made a better contact. So these seconds were catastrophic.. ECM - do you mean coil or computer? I will see in the morning. =2E....thanks

Reply to
Eyal

Hi There It was the coil, dotal disconnection in all pins. The original can be dismantled to the lectronics part and the coil part. Now the car is runnin-in nicely with a new BERU coil (all sealed), I will put aside the burnt one and might look for a replacement from car slaughter yards. Be well and enjoy your VWs. Eyal

Reply to
Eyal