NB Cabin Air filter - where?

Hey guys I just bought a cabin air filter for our 2000 New Beetle Turbo. Supposedly it mounts in a recess at the right side, rear edge of the hood opening, inside the cowl/dash. I do not see anything resembling a place to put it. It looks to me like there is no cabin air filter. Has anyone here changed one that can steer me in the right direction? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I'd suggest you go to

and search thru past forums for this. I have seen the directions there.....which begin by removing the center piece on top of the dash and going from there. Good luck.

Reply to
Larry

It's under the panel (about 9"x9") in the center of the dash. As I recall the part towards the windscreen is pushed forward (towards the windscreen) to remove it. Then there are 4 #2 torx screws to be removed. I used a flex driver to remove the ones towards the windscreen.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

||Rex B wrote: ||> Hey guys ||> I just bought a cabin air filter for our 2000 New Beetle Turbo. ||> Supposedly it mounts in a recess at the right side, rear edge of the ||> hood opening, inside the cowl/dash. I do not see anything resembling ||> a place to put it. It looks to me like there is no cabin air filter. ||> Has anyone here changed one that can steer me in the right direction? ||> Texas Parts Guy || || It's under the panel (about 9"x9") in the center of the dash. As I ||recall the part towards the windscreen is pushed forward (towards the ||windscreen) to remove it. Then there are 4 #2 torx screws to be removed. I ||used a flex driver to remove the ones towards the windscreen.

Ah, that makes sense. So you push a panel forward to expose the screws, then remove it? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

IT'S NOT LIKE A JETTA OR GOLF YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE CENTER part of the dash,the one with the vents but not all of it just the top half you'll see were it seperates and then it's under some other panels in there on the passenger side. good luck. From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
gtfly16v

||IT'S NOT LIKE A JETTA OR GOLF YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE CENTER part of ||the dash,the one with the vents but not all of it just the top half ||you'll see were it seperates and then it's under some other panels in ||there on the passenger side. good luck. ||From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Yep, got it done Saturday. Remove center panel by pushing it forward, then lift up. Remove 2 screws (center & right side, note special washers) in front center of opening, where the left & right side panels overlap. Pop the panel out. Requires some initial force, but it will come. Remove the oval panel in the right side. It's about 14 inches by 8 inches. 4 shoulder screws on the rear edge, 2 in the left center, maybe one or two more. Pop it out, again some initial force required. You can now see the filter. Pull the rear edge of the black plastic fram up, then pull it back and out. Mine was stubborn due to debri buildup on the under side (intake side). Slip old filter out of plastic frame, insert new. Reverse procedure to install. Be sure to use the special washers for the dash center screws.

Thanks for the help, folks. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B