NBeetle exploding passenger window...

The other day, I was riding as passenger in my wife's '03 convertible and went to lower the (power) window. The window lowered about and inch and *POW*, shattered into a million pieces... I nearly s**t. That afternoon, I took the car to the dealer and the service rep acted surprised that had happened. The tech who works on the convertibles happened to walk out about that time and said that he had had two of them break on him. (more astonishment from the service rep). My question to the group:

Is this an isolated incident or have any of you had a similar problem with exploding power rollup windows?

If this is not an isolated incident, I sure as hell ain't gonna pay for a new glass... Thanks!

Reply to
DUCK

It's not common, but it is far from unknown. To the best of my knowledge there is noting special bout the NB or any VW in this regard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This seems to happen from time to time in most makes & models. Was the window particularly warm? Or did you suddently blast the AC onto it? Or vice-versa, cold window with the heat suddenly on? Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave

I have only had one do that, and hot or cold air hitting shouldn't mater at all.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The safty glass used in side windows will shatter (explode) if anything knicks the side of it. I would check all the tracks/channels to see if any debri had lodged in there. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I agree 100%. It may be a regular issue which cause the glass to break.

Reply to
Woodchuck