Need advice - 1981 Volks Cabriolet

Hello,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1981 Volkswagen cabriolet (Golf convertible) with 239835 KM. I know the owner, so I know hte information to be accurate. Here are the details:

Never winter driven No rust New Vinyl top New paint professionally done (as old paint was faded and "tired") (original engine was 1.6L)

5 Speed stand transmission Car looks immaculate and was well taken care of All service records are available Has an appraisal stating car is worth $4500 (although I don't put much value into these reports)

The owner wants $3900 Canadian for the car as this is the price it cost him for the paint ($2500) and new vinyl top ($1400)

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the price. Is it reasonable?

I also was wondering if anyone could let me know things that typically go wrong with the car so I can check them out first.

Regards,

Mark snipped-for-privacy@generation.net Toronto, Canada

Reply to
Mark

Is this your dream car or something? And you are not handy or inclined to be! I would say you could get one for less, or one for cheap and you could have it repainted if needed, or the necessary work done to it. Part of the enjoyment is seeing the restoration being done.

Also I hesistate when purchasing a vehicle at full price from a possible 'friend'! Or even selling one to them!

JMHO dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

#1 This sounds a little high for that year car. #2 He paid too much for the vinyl top - should have gotten a *cloth* top for less than that (vinyl should have been around $700 - at least it is here in the SE USofA). Was the engine upgraded? (you didn't say) Check the CV joints; as with all fwd cars these tend to go bad. If the car is really that nice & you really want it, then see if he'll take less & try to pick it up. It helps that you know the history of the car & that it was taken care of. Also, check other sources for similar vehicles for a price comparison. You may find one in as good as shape for less $$$. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver

In my Opinion for what its worth the price seems a little high for the year it is. If the paint job comes with some sort of warranty it might be getting closer to the right price but I've seen those cars go for $700- $2500 on average depending on condition (though its sounds like its been cared for) That said you should keep looking and I'm sure you'll find one cheaper. Also want to factor in the mechanical side of it...If it sits for 6months of the year, whats leaking as far as oil. lack of use usually causes seals to dry out and crack thus leak.

Good luck with your decision Tristen

86 Golf (pepi) 88 Westfalia (bogart)

Reply to
Tristen S

I paid $700 US for my 81 rabbit convertible. It was in a lot worse shape than the one you are talking about. But in my opinion fixing up the car has been half the fun of owning it. If you spend the kind of money for the car that you are talking about, then the first time anything breaks you will be disappointed. For mine I knew that I was buying a $700 project and not a car. So every time something has broken on mine I have seen it as a reason to upgrade. I did my own top (headliner, pad and canvas top) for $600. I bought a 1.8L JH (GTI) engine with 60K miles on it for $175. I've put headers and high flow exhaust for $125. rebuilt tranny for $400. ported and polished intake, audi 5000 throttle body, GTI fuel injection, GTI slotted rotors, upper and lower stress bar, all for about another $250. and much more. I've enjoyed doing most of it, now know how to fix everything on my car, and have a very sporty car that will drive reliably from cost to coast and have spent less than you will to just buy the car.

Now if you don't want to work on it then you are probably getting what you want. But if anything is wrong or breaks on it then you have paid too much.

As far as what to look for:

All the rubber is expensive, window scraper, door seals, top rubber seals all cost a fortune to replace with new ones. each one of these will range from $25 to $150 each.

The top is expensive but it sounds like that is the best part of your deal.

If the strut towers under the hood have rust then just walk away.

make sure it goes into and out of 5th gear smoothly, if the tranny was low on fluid then this goes first.

the outer CV joint tend to go I've gone through 5.

Many electrical problems mostly due to fuse box getting wet. Make sure everything electrical works

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare