Need advice on 2002 Passat battery replacement

We've had our 2002 1.8T Passat for about 4 1/2 years now so I suspect the battery will conk out in the near future. We live 80 miles from the dealership so I'm looking for other options. Posts on VW Vortex suggest that the battery that Autozone sells won't fit in a B5.5 Passat even with an included adapter.

There's a Sears about 25 miles away so I guess I could go for a DIehard since they supposedly do make one (although expensive) that fits our car.

We've also got a NAPA and an Oreilley's and a Wal Mart in town. Anybody know if they've got an exact fit replacement?

Also, is it worth investing in one of those little 9 volt dohickeys that fit in the lighter socket? I'm not worried about resetting the Monsoon, but I am concerned about messing up the throttle body or tranmission settings. When I replaced the battery in my son's 2001 Audi A4 Quattro

1.8T 5 speed, I found instructions on the web that involved holding the accelerator down after switching on or something.

FWIW, the Autozone battery DID fit nicely in the Audi, but I think it's technically a B5 type car.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

if you got the original radio in the car when purchased then no 9V battery is needed. as for the price of the battery dealer price should be about $110 but I would go with sears as my first choice. From memory I think "interstate" is making the VW battery is the USA cars.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
Carl Muhlbauer

No, the Monsoon was replaced under warranty several years ago. I guess I'd better go with the 9 volt thing.

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin