Need advice on '83 Van leaking head gasket

Hello,

I recently did some work on my coolant system (replacing a hose and the thermostat, cleaning out the rear heat exchanger, new hose clamps, etc.) on my 1983 VW Vanagon with a 1985 1.9L engine. After one failed bleeding of the coolant system (tried to do it by myself), I finally got the system bled properly and it seemed to be running quite well and at a lower temp than before. However, it now seems that I am leaking coolant out of my head gaskets, primarily the driver's side, but Ive also seen a drop hanging off the passenger side, and I can smell vaporized coolant when I park after driving for long enough. I do not believe it is leaking into the cylinder, as I do not see any white smoke out the exhaust or have any starting problems. I am and always have used phosphate-free coolant.

I have had a similar problem before when I had my thermostat replaced which resulted in a massive coolant leak out of the head gasket while ~100 miles from home. After getting the head gaskets replaced, the van ran slightly hot but with no leaks. Fortunately this time I identified the leak before leaving town. Now I am wondering whether I should just attempt to tighten down the head bolts or go ahead with a full gasket replacement. I expect either way this is either going to be tedious (if I do it myself in the nice, cold, midwest winter weather) or expensive (if I take it to a shop). I have been interested in expanding my repair skill set into more engine work, but Im not sure if now is the best time for it. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

aloha Mike Braden

Reply to
Mike Braden

go and subscribe to the vanagon mailing list. People there know all about your problem. It is accessible through vanagon.com sam w

63 singlecab 70 westy
Reply to
Sglw

Tightening the heads will do nothing to fix your problem! What you will find is the heads are pitted where the big black rubber gaskets go around the heads. Depending how bad the pits are will determine if you need to replace the heads or not. Usually once repaired it should last about 50,000 miles before the problem happens again. If you never had the "water boxer" engine apart before you may be in for some real headaches!

Reply to
Woodchuck

This problem happens to all water cooled vans. My dad just had his heads replaced after about 75000 miles on his camper. If you want, there are about 2 companies out of california that sell kits, with or without engine, to convert to a rabbit motor. Extreme perhaps, but something to consider.

Reply to
DWebber711

That is a really great conversion...

I have a buddy who did that and used an engine from a '92 Golf....dirt cheap on fuel, lots more power than the Wasserboxer, easier to find parts, and better reliability...

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

But what's the cost?

Reply to
Woodchuck

It's one of those things... if you have to ask, you don't want to do it. :-)

-AH

Reply to
Antony Hilliard

I have had the heads replaced less than 50000 miles ago (more like 5000 miles ago). So you are suggesting that I should at least remove the heads and inspect them. I guess I should go buy a space heater so I can have this done before spring....

Thanks, Mike

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Mike Braden

If the repair was done correctly is should last longer than 5K! Who did them? Might be able to offer some hints after it's apart.

Reply to
Woodchuck