Need help with A1 diesel timing belt replacement

1982 VW Caddy 1.6 diesel

I just changed the timing belt on my Caddy and something has gone wrong. I replaced the belt because I bought the truck used and I don't know how old the previous belt is. I used a timing kit just like this one:

The engine ran fine previous to this adventure.

When I started, I set the engine on #1 TDC, and locked the cam with the locking bar. The IP pulley indicator, pump indicator and the indicator on the bracket were all in alignment.

Replacing the belt was pretty easy. Following the belt replacement, I used the dial indicator in the kit to set the pump timing according to the procedure outlined in both the Haynes and the Bentley manuals. On startup, the engine ran rough and produced a lot of smoke. If I pulled the cold start control the smoke cleared up and the engine ran smoother. It idles rough, but a little smoother with the CS pulled. This is all unusual compared to how the engine ran before the belt replacement. I checked the cam timing and pump timing and tried again, same result. I checked the cam timing and the pump timing yet again, same result.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

Well if I remember right (it has been a long time since I had a diesel with a cold start control) it changes the fuel injection timing. Which would mean the injection timing may well be off. I would say that something in the timing is off in any case. Good part is that I doubt if you have done any damage. Bad part, I can't offer a fix. I never messed with a timing belt on any of my own cars. I did one for a friend and decided it was too much work.

I love your quote: "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again.... There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt...a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

--President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Maybe you will like

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sounds like the injection timing is retarded. Did you time the injection pump with the cable pushed in fully? Tightened the tensioner in a clockwise motion too?

Did you check alignment of all components BEFORE you replaced timing belt?

"Whole Lotta Tom" wrote

Reply to
One out of many daves