Need tire advice

04 GTI vr6. OE: Michelin HX-MXM4. need to replace tires at 40,000 miles but dont want to spend $200US per tire. Can anyone "from experience" suggest a comparable tire at a better price..........I live in south Florida, lots of heat and rain. Tyhanks
Reply to
Get Involved

I am on my second set of Continental Eco-something or other for my 2001 Golf TDI. I put them on a year ago when the original set had over

70,000 miles on them. I think they make good tires, at a lower price than many others, And they are made in France.
Reply to
ksternberg1

IMHO the Michelins are about the best you can get, but my only advice is stay away from Continentals, my '02 GTI came with them and they sucked most thoroughly. Replaced them with Michelins and was very very happy. Prices must have gone up though I remember paying only about $600 for four. Or do you have the 17" wheels?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I just bought my second set of Potenza RE950. The first set lasted 60K miles (mostly highway). They worked great in the wet; even at the end of the tires's life, the was no hydroplaning. '98 MKIII Golf GTI 2.0L

Reply to
Spencer

But what model of Continentals and Michelins and in what size? Not all Continental tires are the same, and not all Michelin tires are the same.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

The Contis were the TouringContact IIRC, whatever the stock 16" size was in '02. The Michelins were the Pilot all-seasons, not the Pilot Sports.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Just another data point. The OEM Continental 195-65 15 ContiTouring Contacts on our 02 Passat performed very well, wore well and were quiet. And, when it was time to buy new ones, TireRack had a great price on them. However, I'm thinking that you would want something a little sportier for a GTI. If the Michelins seem to expensive, you might try Sumitomo. I've got Sumitomo 195-50 15 HTRs (I think) on my 95 Golf and like them a lot. Or perhaps Kuhmo tires. Check Tirerack.com for their user reviews. You might also find more opinions on vwvortex.com.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

Reply to