New Alternator-Anything Else?

Earlier this year I posted a question about my 96 Jetta's dim lights (when the car starts, the lights [dashboard/headlights) are dim until the engine goes above 1500rpm; After that, all is bright even if rpms go below 1500). Posters said the alternator was suspect.

While I don't fix big things myself, I do save hundreds by buying the warranted parts on-line, and my mechanic puts it in. Is there anything else I should get besides the alternator? Some other little boxy-whatsit that is always replaced when the alternator is replaced?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

A belt.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

actually the behavior you describe is perfectly normal. If it bothers you just replace the regulator not the whole alternator (it's integral with the brush holder) you can do that yourself with a screwdriver

the "boxy whatsit" you are thinking of is the old style external regulator; VW hasn't used those for decades.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Voltage regulator. It probably comes with the new alternator, anyway.

Reply to
tylernt