New Beetle gas door stuck

My 2000 1.8 Turbo has been difficult to fill with gas. The gas door release won't open the door. I can hear the servo try, but the door does not release.

I dismantled the molding inside the rear wheel well in attempt to get to the source but it wasn't the right spot. I could see the cable and housing go into the gas filling area, but couldn't do much from that angle.

I removed the molding inside the trunk by the hatch release, then the molding next to it. I had to remove the molding that goes up the rear pillar first. Some peices have screws and others pop right off.

After I removed all the molding, I could see the servo (off white) and the cable. I removed the servo and pulled the cable back into the trunk compartment. I pulled on the cable and discovered it was not sliding very easy. I pumped some WD40 into the casing, let it soak a while, then worked it some more. I ended up taping a funnel to the cable and housing, filling it with WD40 and let is soak in. That did the trick. The cable moved a lot easier.

I resembled everything and am crossing my fingers that it will continue to work.

This is an hour or so job.

Reply to
Steve

Why not just replace the cable? Then the problem will not leave you stranded some night.

Reply to
Woodchuck

should have used silicone or Wurth's HHS2000 high adhesion spary grease.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Thanks Peter. Next time I take it apart, I use the lubricant you've recommended.

Steve

Reply to
Steve