new cd deck for '00 golf?

A few months ago I bought a '00 golf. It has a casette deck with controls for a cd changer, but no changer. I only drive a few miles a day, so while I feel that it'd be nice to hear a cd, it's not worth $300 to put a changer in the trunk. I thought I'd just buy a new cd deck for ~$150 and call it good. A few questions for the group, then:

  1. In exploring compatibility issues, it seems to be important to know whether this system is monsoon or not. I've heard that a monsoon amp would be found in the rear driver's side compartment that also would hold a cd changer. I've also heard that all monsoon systems say 'monsoon' on the head unit when you turn them on. Is this true?

  1. If I'm correct above, (and I don't have a monsoon system) then in principle I can buy just about any aftermarket deck and plug it in in place of the factory model. However, I've been told by my local stereo shop the new deck (designed for 4 speakers) will do a poor job of driving all 8 speakers and will sound crummy. True?

  2. I've also been warned that I probably won't be able to read out any engine diagnostic codes if I remove the factory radio. A dealer suggested that I retain the factory model and plug it into the wiring harness if I need engine diag. done. I asked about the existence of a mythical electrical part from VW that could prevent this problem. He confirmed that he was familiar with rumors of its existence but had never seen one. Are these concerns founded? What are the chances that I lose diagnostic capability if I swap decks?

  1. Any other advice or suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
J. Kruse

- If you go aftermarket for the CD then you must find on which will work with VW's radio

- The only time one can't read diag codes is if an aftermarket radio is wired incorrectly. Stereo shops have a habit of tapping into the databus wiring which bring all the systems to a stall for reading diag codes.

- want a CD then go to Clutchfied.com but prices are in the $200-300 range.

- I installed a Kenwood head & rear changer unit in my daughters Passat and had NO issues. But then again I wired it correctly.

- If you have a Monsoon then it will say so on power up.

Reply to
Woodchuck

i got a vw factory cd changer off of e-Bay,for under half of what the dealer sells them for my wifes 2000 passat,there always a few people selling those items on there,just get someone w/ a high pos. feedback and you should have no probs

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

I came close to replacing the stereo in my car and bought a Rio Nitrus MP3 player. Very glad I did. 700 songs, fits in pocket, plugs into cassette deck, supports headphones, as well as portable speakers. The whole contraption with heaphones and portable speakers is about the size of a walkman. Moves from car to gym to office to deck. It also ports from car to car more easily than indash units. I had already upgraded speakers in the car tho'. Sound was not an issue, and the power out of the MP3 into the head unit is plenty loud for me. Give it a shot.

Reply to
Mike

They can still diagnose the vehicle, they are lying to you. That is a VW service persons firt priority, to lie to the customer.

However, you will void the warantee by putting a new deck in. If you are spending $300 on a CD changer, you are paying too much. Buy one for $150 and put it in there.

Reply to
jj

So that the usenet record is complete; I bought a panasonic CD/MP3 in-dash unit. It sounds fantastic, drives all 8 speakers well. The lights/display _almost_ match the other dash lights in the car. Haven't had to try to read an engine code yet, but I'm guessing I'll get that answer in a week or two :). Thanks everyone for your help.

Reply to
J. Kruse