new golf TDI

Hi Gang Thanks to everyone who responded to my first post. Sent in a post about a shifter for the new 2004 Golf TDI I ordered which should be here in about 8 - 10 weeks. Since there does not seem to be a shifter does anyone know the size of the threads on the shift knob so I may at least be able to replace it with a "T" handle. I also see cars in here listed as A1 A2 and A3. Can someone please explain what this means. Thanks for the help John

Reply to
John Begin

Refers to the generation. A4 - Current body style, favorite era for the Golf for me. I have a 1999.5 A4 Golf TDI, you also have an A4. 1999-current (I think the model years vary for Europe, as the A5 Golf is already out there, I think they delay north america by a year or so) A3 - when the squareness started to get hit by rounded edges 1992-1999 A2 - my favorite era for the Jetta's... The A2's were bigger then the original models, more substantial, nice squared off styling, pretty easy to work on, great fun cars.. used to have a 91 Golf, didn't like the rear styling of it... but it was a damn great car to drive, I miss it, my TDI is no where near as entertaining...... It's just way more solid feeling, which is good. 1985*-1992

*If I recall... not 100% sure A1 - The original style of Golf (Rabbit) and Jetta's... the one that started it all... I don't really like the look of either car from this era, but they were too far before my time.

My family never had an A1 of any body type (nor did we buy an A3 style, our trusty 91 Golf took all the abuse until just recently, where due to unusual use it succumbed to problems not normal to the A2 cars) we had a small Audi wagon and a Volvo 244 during the time period of the A1, 1974-1984 if I am remebering my VW history correctly (might need to read "VW Chronical" one more time...).

Rob.

1999.5 Golf TDI - 86000kms
Reply to
Rob Guenther

1993 if US and Canada, 1992 elsewhere.

Correct. 1985 US and Canada, 1984 Europe.

From inception to 1983 if Europe, from inception to 1984 if US/Canada.

Reply to
Matt B.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation of the 'A' platform.

Usually used to identify a car with a groups of others (e.g.: "I have an A2 Jetta" means that said person has a Jetta with the same bodystyle/platform as the 1985-1992 (US/Canada) Jettas).

Your 2004 is an A4.

In general, the bodystyle changed when the platform did. There are a few exceptions...such as the Sciroccos. All are on the A1 platform despite the major body change for the 1982 model year.

The B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, and B5.5 is in reference to the Passat (and its rebadged derivatives).

B1 = Passat/Dasher up to the '81 model year. B2 = Passat/Quantum from 1982 to 1988. B3 = Passat 1989-1994 (although US/Canada didn't get an '89 at all). B4 = Passat 1995-1997 (heavy restyle of the B3, but not called B3.5 though...not sure why not (see below) B5 = 1998-early 2001 B5.5 = mid 2001 to current, heavy restyle of the B5, hence B5.5

Get the idea?

Reply to
Matt B.

Actually lemme amend that to include the Corsar (Mexico) and Santana (4-door sedans, most markets) models too.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yep. The Santana 2000 lives in China too. The Chinese also reverse engineered the Jetta 1 platform and rebadged it over there. That's because VWAG had an OEM site there for in country and the Chinese took advanage of that.

Reply to
Peter Parker

conngrats on your TDI purchase, check out ww.tdiclub.com if you havent already done so. A user supported(sorta), non commercial (sorta) site that is full of everything you need to know and then some.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks to everyone who reported to my post and I will check out the ticlub web site.

Hopefully down the road I may be able to help someone else out

Reply to
John Begin

Others have answered the question as to A1, A2, etc., so I will take a stab at your shifter question. There are no threads on the shifter - it is held in place with sort of a crimp fitting that has to be replaced each time. You have to cut it off to remove the knob.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

2002 Golf TDI

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes