New Muffler for Jetta- better to use VW or "Midas"?

I have a 1997 Jetta that needs a new muffler (complete). Is it better to go to a dealer and use VW replacement parts, or to use the (somewhat cheaper, but not inexpensive) Midas parts?

Reply to
jbourgeois

If you go to the dealer, you get the good stuff and it has a lifetime warranty...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

go to a dealer and use VW replacement parts, or to use the (somewhat cheaper, but not inexpensive) Midas parts?

If those are the only two choices you're considering, go with VW. I had midas for a long time on my GTI and for the price it wasn't a great bargain. For what Midas charged me back in the day, I could have had a nice aftermarket cat-back system (wish I knew better back in '93).

Reply to
Matt B.

You will regret Midas and most of those other chain muffler shops!!!!!!!!!

Best bet is the dealer, but you could go with some aftermarket components that will bolt on just like the original and cost half of the dealer stuff but probably won't last another 7 years like the dealer stuff though!

Oh and for a system that will last for a very long time, techtonics stainless steel cat back system comes to mind. 8^)

JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

So if the dealer's OEM VW muffler has a lifetime warranty, shouldn't the OP's current muffler have one, too?

sd

Reply to
SD

Hi, I was in the same predicament with my 1998 Jetta GLS. The VW dealers in my area wanted almost $800 for a VW factory exhaust.I replaced the OEM original at 70K miles with a Techtonics cat back aluminum system. I found it too loud and hated the drone on the freeway. Basically it was annoying with no perceptible performance increase. Nevertheless, I kept it for 2 years before it wore out. It developed 2 leaks at weld points. One in particular was leaving marks on the fuel tank. So, I was thinking about OEM again or just getting a Tuffy, or Midas junk. My independant VW garage recommended a Bosal since they actually make the OEM for VW. I went with that and am extremely happy with it. Looks like factory and nice sound ( but not loud or droning).Cat Back cost me around $350 installed. I havent noticed any performance difference between the Techtonics and the Bosal (OEM). But the Bosal is much quieter. I would strongly encourage you to get a Bosal and be happy:)

Mark

1998 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Carl

The dealer stuff is junk IMHO. Within a year I already had a crack hole in the suitcase muffler of my A3 Jetta.

This is what I put on and to this day still looks originally like new.

Reply to
Peter Parker

no...the current muffler will only have the warranty that the car had when it was new. Replacement mufflers carry a lifetime warranty.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Let me clarify my situation with some new information. The VW muffler will cost twice as much ($600+) and the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. The one I visited did not inspire me with confidence, as they mostly serviced other brands, and didn't have any "specialized" VW repair persons. They took nearly 2 hours just to give me an estimate!

I live in a small town in western Illinois, 2 hours from Springfield IL and St. Louis MO, and as far as I know there are no "European" auto repair shops in my immediate vicinity.

I guess my big concern with going with Midas is wondering if the parts will fit poorly or look/sound different than a VW should.

P.S.-- If anyone knows a good shop in my area that would use VW-type parts, or is a good dealer, I would love to know about it.

Reply to
jbourgeois

Then I am happy that I use aftermarket parts. So did you get a free replacement muffler from the dealer and then sell it? Or what happened?

thanks Peter Parker. later, dave

snip snip

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My VW replacement muffler rusted out after only 2 years and they replaced it free under warranty. Still had to pay for labor though.

Reply to
nospam

Yep. I have my stainless exhaust for 9 years now (1994 A3) and it will outlast the body IMHO. I also have the extra resonator tube. I cut off the dealer junk and installed the TT exhaust. I don't ever have to worry about the exhaust since it's a lifetime warranty.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I know this sounds risky... But why don't you buy a decent non OEM system off the web and have someonne install it for you?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I am with Jim on this. Buy a cat-back system and have your local garage install it. Techtontics (sp) should be one source. Don't forget the special clamps and hangers for you 97 Jetta!

Midas systems almost guaranty that you come back in a year or two! :-(

dave