New oil is killing our cars. Article I found . Might make you think a little.

There should not be any problem as long as you use an oil that meets VW's specifications for your car.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I think it's been fairly well-known for some time that the new "energy conserving" oils do not protect against wear as well as non-energy-conserving oils. I first read that a couple of years ago, and though I don't recall where, it was a source more credible than a post on some yahoo's web site. So far, I haven't found any 5W40 oils that are "energy conserving" so I think you're safe with VW-spec oils.

Reply to
Brian Running

Another important point to remember regarding modern VAG/VW oils, for the last five or so years, VW, Audi etc have NO requirement for their oils to be API accredited. They simply use their own specification and performance standards - and sometimes, some of the oils developed by the non-OEM suppliers submit them for the European ACEA approvals.

Rgds, Sean

Reply to
LeakiestWink