New owner of '00 Passat Wagon

I've just purchased a used 2000 Passat Wagon 1.8T 5spd and I have a few questions I hope to find answers to.

Since the very day I took it home the outside temperature readout on the dashboard says

Reply to
Duke Ionescu

Can anyone provide any input? Thanks again

Duke Ionescu said the following on 10/23/2003 11:35 AM:

Reply to
Duke Ionescu

I have a 2000 Passat Wagon. It's a V6 with an auto, so I can't comment on the engine questions. Do the other functions of the trip computer work properly? I think I recall seeing that ---F for a few seconds like it is getting the initial reading. I'm wondering if a wire came loose. Did you have people poke around for an inspection? Maybe they jiggled a wire.

I have had very good luck with my local VW dealer. I'd be surprised if the Audi dealer had all the VW parts >Can anyone provide any input? Thanks again

Reply to
TL

TL said the following on 10/29/2003 9:13 AM:

The rest of the functions work properly, and before I bought the car so was the outside temperature readout :( Do you have any idea where the sensor is located so I can check if it got loose somehow?

Reply to
Duke Ionescu

"13-Outside air temperature sensor -G17- Function: Temperature sensor controls temperature flap and fresh air blower speed dependent of temperature measurement. In event of sensor malfunction, fresh air intake duct temperature sensor

-G89- measurement value is used instead. If both sensors malfunction, operation continues with default value of 10C (50F). Air recirculation not possible. A/C control head -E87- display indicates: '--' "

The location of the sender seems to be immediately in front of the a/c condenser radiator, about 1/4th of the way up from the bottom, centered but slightly to the drivers side. It appears to be clipped to another hose/hard line assembly, but it will have wires so it should be easy to spot.

The manual's not explicit, but I suspect that even if the system has fallen back to the intake duct sensor (as mentioned above) it might show "---" on the display (even though it has a backup reading).

-Arthur

Duke I> I've just purchased a used 2000 Passat Wagon 1.8T 5spd and I have a few

Reply to
Arthur Russell

Arthur Russell said the following on 11/5/2003 11:14 PM:

Arthur - I assume you are referring to cars with electronic climate control. Mine is "manual" climate control. The ---F that I am referring to displays in the dashboard. I'm not sure if this display would rely on the secondary sensor were the main one broken.

Will definitely look for it harder. One dealer (Northern Blvd., Queens, NYC) quoted me $100 for the sensor part! Doesn't that seem high? What will the charge me to install it, $1000, and replace the dash while at it? :(

Thanks a lot, all appreciated! Will let you know on my progress.

Reply to
Duke Ionescu

Duke,

Although my Passat has the Climatronic version, I think the manual section quoted should apply to both. In fact, I have found that the temp displayed by the climate control system always moves in accordance with the one displayed in the instrument cluster.

Anyway, your point is a good one, so again, we are guessing that the fallback to the secondary sensor is only for certain control systems, and not for these displays.

Good luck! Arthur

Reply to
Arthur Russell