New Passat - when?

I've heard alot of rumor/speculation about the next Passat but no release info. Anyone have any idea when it's coming?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Called VWOA Friday, they still have no exact date when the new Passat TDI PD's will hit the showrooms. They gave an estimate of sometime between April and July-------

Reply to
FerdyPooh

Would this be the new passat that is out in the UK now? If so my g/f's dad just bought a diesel version. Doesn't look much different to the last one according to his wife :)

Reply to
Joe

No, there's supposed to be a *new* new one, next year, with significant differences, such as being built on a derivative of the A platform rather than the B, using transverse engines (BTW, does that mean Haldex instead of Quattro? That would suck...), etc.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yes, all reports so far is that the new Passat will be based on a transverse engine mount. So, back to the VR engine. I just hope that they don't loose the quad link suspension. That is what makes the Passat such a better car. No torque steer. Also, with the transverse engine, the "4Motion" will be Haldex. Sucks, but I believe that the "platform" sharing has been hearting the other divisions in Europe more so than here in the states.

Reply to
quattroA4cars

Why bother with 4Emotions? Get an Audi and cut to the chase.

Reply to
Richard Potato

Five letters, starts with "m", ends in "y".

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

So what difference between VW's AWD system and Audi's AWD system? Is the driver really going to notice a difference? They're both AWD? (confused...not seeing the significance...)

Reply to
Matt B.

VW's 4motion is essentially the same as the Audi's Quattro, just a different name since VW Passat's share the same platform, at least up to the 2004 model, as the Audi A4.

It's about time the Passat had 4motion. Save some money and buy the VW not the Audi. It'll save the consumer ~$4-5K.

BTW... Search the web for the New Passat. Saw some pictures of it a few weeks ago but it was a German website. Great looking car!! Unfortunately, I read somewhere that VW REALLY wants to go upscale so they will INCREASE the Passat's price between $25,000-30,000 US.

Go figure! VW wants to compete with their upscale cousin, Audi!

VW does mean "people's car" but VW got too greedy!

Mz

Reply to
Mz

Right, but the Golf/Jetta (the applications with transverse engines) use a design that harkens back to the Syncro systems if I understand correctly.

So the technology aside, what I was asking though is what's the difference from the driver's perspective? A previous poster seemed to be lamenting the thought that if the next Passat goes transverse engine, it'll likely not use Audi's Quattro (rebadged 4MOTION when used in the Passat) based AWD system and will use VW's own 4MOTION system and I was wondering "yeah so what difference to the driver does that really make?".

Reply to
Matt B.

The A4 stopped using the B5 platform in 2001. The Passat has continued to use it, and the A4 moved on to the new B6 platform that's currently on the market.

The Passat has been avaliable with 4Motion for a few years now. But because of increased curb weight and some other issues, the Passat V6 4Motion is considerably slower than the A4 2.8 Quattro was. A used 2001 A4 Quattro 2.8 is a great buy if the mileage is low enough. Look for a "certified" used vehicle and you're good to go.

As far as I know, none of those are actual pictures, but rather are "artist's renditions" created on computers. You can plainly see how they combined elements of the MK5.5 Passat, new MKV Golf and Pheaton to make the pictures.

All the reports I've seen indicate that prices on the 2.0T and "base" V6 models will increase very little. The big jump will be with the top-spec GLX replacement (reported to have around 300Hp from either a turbocharged 3.2 or N/A 3.6) which will probably carry a price tag of $33-35k. Although when you compare it to the price of a current W8 or cars like the G35, this is rather reasonable. Reportedly, an "R" version similar to Audi's "S-Cars" will also eventually debut with over 300Hp.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The difference between the current Quattro/4Motion and the Haldex system is that the quattro using a mechanical system for the all wheel drive. It is "always on" so to speak. The haldex system is similar to other's AWD systems in that it uses an electronic clutch and is only engaged when a sensor detect wheel slipage. I prefer the current Quattro. Just my $.02

Reply to
quattroA4cars