(newbie question) oil viscosity and fuel consumption

Does oil viscosity affect fuel consumption? My feeling is that viscosity is important for starting the motor, but once at running temperature it's not that important.

Reply to
William Park

I just got back from Jetta 5 school and the manial says rhis. One reason VW now uses the new electrol-mechanical power steering is because it saves 1/2 gal of fuel n 600 miles. Thicker oil takes more HP to pump than thin oil. So... over time thin oil does save fuel.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What oil do you guys use in your A3 Jetta ? not the brand but viscosity?

10/30 ? or what? would be interesting to know. I put 30WT Redline in mine this time. maybe thicker would be a little more quite.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

I use 10w30 in the winter and 15w50 in the summer. Mobil 1 synthetic.

1994 A3 4cyl with 198000~ miles.
Reply to
Peter Parker

I have 1986 Jetta, and I usually use 10w30 in winter and 20w50 in summer. But, this year, I got lazy and forgot to change the oil. I noticed that I was getting noticably low milage than other winters (at least from what I remember). Hence, this thread...

Reply to
William Park