No 2004 TDIs allowed in MA, workaround?

As of 2004 it's illegal to buy any diesel passenger car in Massachusetts until they can meet the emissions rules, which is not expected until diesel fuel has a whole lot less sulphur in it. The EPA has mandated that diesel with l5 ppm sulphur or less be available starting in June of 2006. (See

Hopefully at that point it will be possible to sell European-spec TDI engines with emissions scrubbers (something like catalytic converters I think) here.

Does anybody know anything about whether VW intends to sell cleaner TDI engines in 2007?

Also, since the rules allow TDI's to be registered in MA as used vehicles if they have more than 7500 miles on them I wonder if anyone would be interested in setting up a service that will buy new TDI cars out-of-state and drive them 7500 miles as quickly as possible then resell them. Since there's no other way to buy TDI cars here I expect there is some profit in such a service.

Since Massachusetts's policy is based on California's, I wonder if this scheme might also work to sell into the larger California market, or any state with similar rules.

Thoughts?

-A

Reply to
abroadst

I'd drive a nice new Jetta TDI Sport (special edition, don't know if the US gets it) for you for 7500miles and happily drive it to your place (it'd be almost over 500-700kms alone just to MA I would think, from Ontario), if you're paying ;-) - that includes insurance tho...

I think a plan like this would take way too many people to "break in" these cars, and scams might arise.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I would be more than honored to drive your new TDI for the first 7500 miles here in PA! VW TDI's are darn clean to begin with, and it's up to the greedy oil companies to step up and produce cleaner fuels. Like we all know their only concern is $PROFITS$!

Reply to
Woodchuck

As the owner of one of the last TDI's purchased in Mass, it is not the engine. It is as clean as you could want. It is the fuel. By 2007 diesel will be low sulphur and your 2003 engine will burn it as well as anything else.

Reply to
Tom R.

Reply to
abroadst