No luck starting My 85` GTi...

This car was my brothers and its been sitting in the backyard while i've been waiting to get my license. The previous owner before my brother put a 16v DOHC engine in it. My brother thinks the engine is a 88'. Anyway, I now have the car at the Auto Shop at the highschool and I have been trying to start it for the past couple of weeks. I put a new battery in it and have checked and cleaned all the Spark Plugs. My auto instructor was wondering if there was a way to prime the fuel lines to get gas to the engine. Any ideas on what to check to get it running?

Thanks

Reply to
the.cheef

Mpfffff.... Good LORD, what a question... so many possible answers.

  1. Are you getting a spark?
  2. Have you checked the fuel pressure?
  3. Have you checked the fuel filter?

And that is only the basic series of tests to be made before any reasonable suggestions may be made.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

turn the key on, but do not try to start. Do you hear the fuel pump running? if so turn it off and back on again, wait till fuel pump stops, lather rinse repeat. your fuel lines are now primed.

If you do NOT hear the fuel pump running, you probably need a new fuel pump relay, or there may be another issue (relay is common failure) that you need to troubleshoot.

Are you getting spark when you turn the engine over?

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Remove fuel pump relay and jumper correct terminals.

Need: Compression Fuel Spark

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1