novice silly, but what is the type of wrench to take off the starter on a passat (1990)

Not an allen wrench. Even found an elusive H9, and it's not that.

I'm sure you're like gee, everyone that's ever worked on a VW knows it's a ______ ...but it's my first time with a VW!

Pretty excited to get rolling with it, it has a 1.6 L diesel, put in 2 years ago, and have the WVO kit to put on yet. Not turbo, but it'll get my family the 40mpg for the single trips we make so often.

Thanks so much for the help.

Scott

Reply to
OrganicGrassDairy

Just a WAG, but a torex?

Reply to
PeterD

Not 100% sure about one that year, bot have seen some triple square bolts on starters.

Reply to
LM

One possible solution is the S-K 'spline' socket set. Those things will fit almost anything (I have a set, and do manage to use it from time to time...)

Reply to
PeterD