OBD Scanner Follow-Up

Thanks again to all who posted in response to my scanner question. The $79 scanner I bought, an Actron Pocket Scan (regularly $99 -- on sale now at Auto Zone), indicated an MAF failure. I have now replaced the MAF sensor ($80 for a re-manufactured Bosch unit) and son of a gun, it runs like a champ again.

Those of you considering a scanner, the cheap Auto Zone unit works well, erases the codes, turns off your check engine light, has a complete listing of all the codes' meanings, is solidly-built, and is updatable. $11 less than my dealer wanted just to read the codes. See it here:

Also, for those of you with 2.0L engines looking at MAF sensor replacement -- before you run over to your dealer for the new part, check the unit to see whether you need the "A" or "G" part. The last letter of the part number, which is on the underside of the unit and can't be seen unless you remove the unit, is A or G. Alternatively, get your engine code and take that with you to the parts counter. Sure as hell, I went with the part's guy's hunch and took the "A" unit home with me, only to find I needed the "G" after I removed the part. Doh!

Reply to
Brian Running

How much did you pay for the MAG sensor and what brand?

Reply to
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

$80, Bosch, re-manufactured. The "A" sensor is $55, brand-new Bosch. Both at the VW dealer. Local parts stores were much more expensive.

Reply to
Brian Running